Monday, September 04, 2006

Single Serving Friends

I'm slowely getting back into the swing of Single Serving Friend life. While it's not a new thing to me, it seems to be taking new dimensions this time around.

I've always considered myself an "open book". There are few things I would be inclined to keep inside, whether that be emotionally or ideologically. And as some of you may have experienced, that can lead to some unneccesarily intense and perhaps even awkward moments (for the other party, not for me). But I rather enjoy living my life that way.

Now, the strange thing is that all the Single Serving Friends I have consumed so far are exactly the same. They all seem to be game for in-depth, inimately personal conversation with just any stranger. And I'm pretty certain it has nothing to do with the anonimity of travelling life. They genuinely are like that. They are all about mid-to-late twenties and not as much in search of something, but rather, simply wanting to be part of all they can be part of. And doing so in as intense a way as possible. If they can put themselves and their own lives into perspective through contacts with strangers, they seize the opportunity with both hands. They seem very self-aware, which instantly reels me in. None of the floaty hippy stuff. Just plain grounded and ready to expose their weaker sides if it benefits themselves or others. It's great.

What's even nicer is that while I'm certain I could never feel at home in the Asian-Traveller's Party Life, here it's very much the opposite. By 7 a.m. everyone is out the house and ready to kick-start their day. And while there's the odd pub- and clubnight, often it's a communal wind-down and bed by 11. Just last night, my roommates and I decided to watch a movie together, but we never saw the end of it, for about half-way in, all of us had crashed out.

For once, the Single Serving Friend phenomenon appears to have upsides. And thank Sod for that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home