Monday, August 28, 2006

So Long and Thanks For All The Fish...

Well here we are then. In a few hours, Pew will board that Big Steel Bird to Christchurch for the first leg of The Big Trek. I am nervous as fuck, albeit in an excited, flutterish kind of way. The dark neurotic half of my brain has taken to sadistically humming Alanis Morisette's "Ironic", as if to remind myself that by months of planning I have set myself up for a good dose of Murphy's Law. But then the eternally optimistic half of my brain falls into line with an equally annoying, but cheerful, chorus of "Que Sera Sera".

In all fairness, it's a nice state to be in. I know I'll be mildly-to-heavily sedated once I've found my seat on the Big Steel Bird, so that should shut Alanis up and make way for a healthy dose of childishly-excited flutters. And whichever way you look at it, whatever happens from this point onwards, I will have stepped into it feeling like I've taken on what I really wanted to do. And that's a very happy place to be in, mentally.

I'm not sure exactly when I will next get access to the internet, but I suspect blogs on the Misadventures of Pew in Quirky Kiwi Land will start to trickle in before too long. Meanwhile... Behave. Just 'cuz the cat's temporarily away from moderating the comment section...


PS: For your information (and my family's reassurance): this is a wee map of the route & the activities I have set out for myself for the next 2.5 months. As you can see, it does not involve juggling knives, shaving my head or living in hippy communes... so far at least. When the anecdotal blogs start trickling in, you'll be able to place the stories geographically based on this map, without me having to go into boring geographical travel details.

- New Zealand Route -
(Click map to view without a magnifying glass at hand ;)

1 Comments:

At 8:42 am, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Thank you for leaving us with that last little slice of geekdom. I am so impressed with that I will have to print it out!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy!

Missing you already!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home