Friday, September 01, 2006

Jetlag

I'm seriously jetlagged. I fell asleep at 5pm yesterday only to wake up at 3am feeling ridiculously hungry. After that, I couldn't fall back to sleep. It annoys me and I'll tell you why...

There's a type of Clam in the North Sea that opens and shuts its shell in synchronicity with the tides of the sea. Some researchers decided to play bully, shipped off a box of those clams to New Zealand and asked the receiving lab to simply keep them stored in the box and register how they did. It turns out that within a mere 4 hours, the clams had tuned into the rythm of the Tasman Sea tides and started opening & shutting accordingly.



Now this story annoys me because a clam... A CLAM... can tune its biorythm into its new location in a mere few hours. I on the other hand, with all my suposedly highly developed neuronal connections, am still raiding the fridge at 3am and staring at the ceiling till 9am THREE DAYS after arrival. Seriously. Something's slightly off here don't you think? *growl*

Anyway... I leave you with a wee piccie of a street in Christchurch. The town is suposed to be the most "English" town in the country, but to me it looks more Scandivian Methodist. At any rate, it's a style I really like, what with the wooden clapboard walls and the bright colours. And a Volkswagen up front. This could be me actually.


5 Comments:

At 7:35 am, Blogger Disco said...

The difference in response times is easy to expain when you accept that jetlag is an existential phenomenon and not a physical one. You have left your soul in Belgium and it hasn't caught you up yet. Clams don't have souls (or maybe just little ones that travel faster). Q.E.D.

 
At 11:55 am, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Yeah, but don't leave your heart in New Zealnd, otherwise you'll be intolerable when you return! ;-)

 
At 5:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That place doesnt look like anywhere in England I have been!

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger Disco said...

A delayed soul is a temporary inconvenience, a misplaced heart is not so easily resolved.

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Oh Disco, do not get me started on existential matters. I've been going through a 50-hours audio-course on existentialism on my mp3-player... I think I'm going to make copies for all my friends. *geek alert*

ANYWAY...

Jim, don't plan to leave my heart here but you KNOW I'll be intolerable on my return even if I don't ;-p. Tho it has to be said: the girls are well fit here... grrr! PS: Tell your missus that I've seen a version of her bubble gum idea here already. Soon as I get a change I will upload and mail her a piccie. Another sign you two should migrate over! ;)

Right, off to start my day here. It's the BIGGEST thunderstorm out at the moment. Calls for coffee! x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home