Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Milford Sound

Went down to Milford Sound yesterday (Fjordland) as the snow here has turned into a mere sludge and I couldn't be bothered spending NZ$ 150 on treading it. But the trip away was well worth it. While Milford Sound can technically be called Fjordland, it is nothing like its Scandinavian counterpart. For starters, it's beset with temperate rainforest. And it is far less jagged and edgy. It is also simply the most stunning scenery I've come across. It rains 200 days a year out here and the views are typically that of a lush-green, ghostly fogged-in paradise. My camera seriously underpeformed so I have decided not to post any pictures beyond the few basic ones, as it would simply undersell the place.

I've had my first encounter with wild seals and even came across a stray Kiwi (the bird) which, so I've been told, is a rare occurrence. In a nearby nature reserve, I also managed to get up close to a captive Takahe (see right) of which there are only 200 left. Because of the lack of land predators, birds here have been able to "evolve" into land-dwelling creatures that are often flightless. It makes them rather plump but I couldn't help but marvel at the beauty of this odd specimen.

Below is a picture of myself with my Single Serving Friend (SSF) of the Day in the Milford Sound. Should the thought "Corr, she looks well rough" cross your mind, ponder this: Thirty seconds after this picture was taken, we hit the Tasman Sea in windconditions of 150km/h and I threw up overboard. Environmentalists among you needn't worry. The contents spilt were apple and SSF's cookie, both of which I should hope were fully biodegradable ;)
Time for coffee.

-Pew with Single Serving Friend in Milford Sound-

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home