Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Flight-Booking Strategies & Wee Cops

I have managed to make my way to Vienna for a brief goodbye visit before I set off on The Big Trek at the end of the month. But only just. I feel it is important at this time to set forth a few tips on "How To Book a Flight", an endeavour NOT to be taken lightly.

Lesson 1:
Before booking your flight, write down on a bit of paper where you want to take off from and where you want to arrive at. You might, for instance, be booking at a time when your first dose of caffeine has yet to find its merry way to your cognital control centre.

Lesson 2:
When booking a flight for someone else, it is advisable to remind yourself of where the person is currently at and where you would ultimately like them to end up. This is a covert repeat of "lesson 1" for the geographically confused.


Merely following lesson 1 and 2 should bring one a great deal closer to a successful flight-booking experience and should prevent airport-mishaps such as mine last Monday.

My dad had been so kind to book me a flight over (as I am financially challenged and therefore a rather dependent 26-year old bit of offspring) and he'd mailed me the e-tickets a few days before I was due to take off. Monday morning, I check the airport departure list to make sure there are no changes or delays and I note that there is indeed an afternoon flight to Vienna, so I set off to the airport as planned. Upon arrival at the airport, I check the board and make my way to the Lufthansa check-in desk. My mind stutters for a moment at the thought that I've never flown Lufthansa to Vienna before, but then the needle picks up the thread again and I continue by presenting the check-in guy with my tickets and passport. A few minutes later, I find myself redirected to the FlySN check-in desk, which makes more sense, as that is the airline I usually fly with. I heave my bag onto the luggage belt and repeat the regular check-in procedure.

Check-in Lady: Where are we flying to today Ma'am?
Pew: Vienna please.
Check-in Lady: Ok just a moment...

A moment turns into two minutes and Check-in Lady's expression changes from ditsy happiness to confusion and then sheer worry.

Check-in Lady: Erm, Ma'am... I think you're suposed to be in Vienna.
Pew: Yes I know, that's kind of why I'm here you see.
Check-in Lady: No I mean... the flight you're booked on leaves Vienna in 90 minutes.
Pew: (ditsy as ever) Oh right, so there's a delay... that's OK, I have a book to keep busy.
Check-in Lady: No Ma'am, what I mean is you are booked on a trip from Vienna to Brussels and then back to Vienna

D'oh!!

So after a hilarious phone call to my dad, I managed to get myself transfered onto the evening-flight in the right geograpical direction and I spent the 4-hour wait pretty much like this:


On another note... I'm reading Jeremy Clarkson's "The World According To" at the moment and though it is hilarious, I have decided to take his scribblings with a pinch of salt from now on. He describes such things as German efficiency and the scariness of Austrian police and boarder-control and after what I saw today I can't help but feel he's incredibly apt at exaggeration... I mean... who on earth could be even remotely terrified by this:


Even if you were riding a lopsided tricylce and got asked to pull over, you'd probably be tempted to try and outrun the thing in a low-speed pursuit wouldn't you?!?!

And as a final note: I'd like to thank Marie for her insight and for sending me this link this morning: Impostor Syndrome. I shall refrain from commenting on the reasons for her sending me this link.

9 Comments:

At 10:14 am, Blogger Dr Jim said...

LOL!

I'm not worried about you Sarah. Really. 8-|

...but if you could just blog or email everyday so that we know you've not ended up in South Georgia, Antarctica rather than Auckland, we'll all be much happier.

p.s. I think using the title "Dr" is certainly the first step towards overcoming Impostor Syndrome ;-)

 
At 11:19 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

I think Jim, that the day I end up in Antartica by mistake, I will mostly be dead chuffed that I've managed to get there on my wee budget ;-) But allright... I promise to blog my whereabouts like twice a week or so. I'm sure llamas come equipped with wi-fi these days, don't they?

PS: That Jeremy Clarkson book is almost ready to be shipped off to you as promised. Though, following the birthday card debacle, I shall refrain from shipping it from Vienna ;-)

 
At 4:42 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

lol. I shall look forward to it, and in return you can have Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse5, which I forgot to give you. Again. ;-)

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Excellent!! That's my in-flight entertainment sorted then... do you want it back afterwards or am I at liberty to trade if for another book with a fellow traveller? If so, you might do well to advise me on it's trading value, as I am THE worst haggler on the face of this planet. I know I'll just end up with a copy of "TinTin goes seal hunting" if I'm not given proper instructions.

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger Disco said...

I'm rather partial to Tintin (I am deadly serious in this as my still to be published 2006 reading list will prove). As for haggling, again this is where the towel would come in so very useful (dog, bone). And finally, Imposter Syndrome; I had to attend another god awful meeting yesterday and in passing you and Jagermeister Steve were held up as paragons of academic achievement. If only they really knew :-)

 
At 8:06 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Slaughterhouse5 can only be passed onto someone who will truly appreciate the genius that is Kurt Vonnegut.

Identifying such a person will be no mean feat, but I'm sure several probative questions will be forthcoming upon reading the book, such as "Are you from this time or are you just passing through?"

 
At 9:01 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

"Are you from this time or just passing through"?! You're not kidding either are you *amused* The only other person beside yourself who's suggested more than once that I should read this book is soon-to-be Dr.Od and no offense to Od, but she's the dodgy variety of science geek (by which I'm not even referring to the fact that she's an engineer ;p). I'm slightly alarmed that you both deem me fit to join this little club of yours... *half-hearted attempt at panic and shock*

I can just imagine my luck asking that "time" question to some random who turns out to be (a) a brownie-munching-birkenstock-wearing-new-age hippie, (b) a trekkie who takes his obsession far too seriously or worse (c) a physicist...

It reminds me of my second date with my first proper girlfriend, during which she foolishly asked me what my thoughts were on parallel universa. Thank god she had a sense of humour and bought me Richard Bach's "One" a week after...

Disco, I think it's time I sit you down for a proper chat to educate you on such topics like soggy cereal and the tremendous horror of having to babysit impressionable five-year-olds in TinTin country. Also, I dread to think who Jagermeister Steve and I were held up against in the race for "paragon-ness"... it wouldn't by any chance be the dozens of non-english speaking drifters on a certain Msc course now would it??

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Conclusive proof. We have a definite diagnosis.

 
At 8:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home