Thursday, August 17, 2006

Pew's New Toy

I've been sat on the sofa with a big dopey grin on my face, admiring my graduation prezzie and newest toy: The Holga. It's a reproduction of a plastic russian camera. It looks like it's about to fall apart at any given moment and it comes shipped with a roll of black masking tape to seal off the loose fittings on the camera casing, as it tends to leak light onto the negatives. I've had to special-order the film rolls as the Holga uses 120mm film rather than the standard 35mm. For a look at the type of pictures this lil thing produces, check this lomogallery. (Use the sidebar to open an album linked to specific effects).

I've read the manual 4 times so I think I am just about ready to start shooting. Though... I have just ruined my first filmroll while trying to load it into the camera. *Mental note to self: When loading 120mm film, do so in a DARKENED room. Not while on the sofa in a brightly lit room*

PS: Holga is coming with me on my Big Trek. This is again NON-NEGOTIABLE, so the packing tally seems to keep rising. Woe is me.

9 Comments:

At 11:40 am, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Now Sarah, I've sometimes paired your name (in a friendly and unharsh way) with the noun geek in years past. Can I just take this opportunity to re-introduce the German adjective über into that little juxtaposition.

...and yes, yes, writing such a thing in such a manner qualifies me as much the same thing. *sigh*

 
At 1:11 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

(howcome your keyboard has the "umlaut" and mine hasn't?!?)

It seems I don't do things half-measure. I got nicknamed Uber-lesbian in my first PhD year, then Uber-liberal in my second year, uber-linguist (which sounds dirtier than it is) and now Uber geek.

If only that were a cool thing I'd be uber-happy ;-)

 
At 1:34 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Give everything in life 110%

No umlaut key, just a good memory for the shortcut key codes I need for the most used extended letters, thus ü=ALT+0252, á=ALT+0225 and é=ALT+0233. If I need a cedilla or circumflex, I go hunting ;-)

 
At 1:35 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Hmm. Just did it again didn't I?

*sigh*

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Hey, there's a reason we call you the Elder Geek ;-) He's Uber-der than uber. Or uber-st-est.

But thanks for the hot tip. Will make correspondence with my Swedish hot dates soooo much easier ;-)

 
At 11:45 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

:o russian camera!!!!!!!
yeah, that's all!

 
At 6:58 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

lol weeeeeell... I wasn't trying to play it down or anything, but I figured I shouldn't advertise it's many qualities till I've proven I can indeed produce owt good with it ;-)

PLUS! didnt need to tell YOU what it does now did? YOU full well know, ms.camera passionata ;-)

 
At 6:59 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

and I should really learn how to spell.

More than two hours of sleep would also help a great deal.

 
At 10:21 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The best russian cameras are those that don't work, then you get amazingly quirky photos :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home