Monday, April 25, 2005

Spritzers in Vienna



-My Brother Mattias, Vienna-

I could quite easily fill this blog with hundreds of little anecdotes relating to my weekend in Vienna, but according to recent findings, urban man's attentionspan aproximates that of a gnat. So in an attempt to accomodate, merely a few observations:

- family parties are the same, no matter where you are
- christenings are best attended in a foreign language
- twins don't necessarily have the same age (according to my dad ;-)
- continental food rocks!
- the smellier the cheese, the better
- artistic people dress in black
- Vienna is a haven for tacky snowshakers
- noses are a delicacy for infants
- "um die ecke" is NOT sufficient knowledge of German to find ur way home after a party
- people with punkhair & tattoos are big softies
- squirtie toys, red wine and drunken people don't mix
- when addressed in a language you don't know, a blank smile goes a long way
- priests are inherently bizarre
- my only pair of "decent" trousers are too short
- grown-ups like playing with pencils&paper, if it's disguised as a grown-up activity
- it's harder than you'd expect to find a decent pair of lederhosen



-My Lil' Sister, Vienna-

2 Comments:

At 9:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well... having kids over in Vienna is a blast.
A few observations from 'dad' in reply will balance the fun:

- a daughter never brings fitting trousers to wear on a christening of her little sister
- twins are never born at the exact same second, so... they do have a different age (although I agree that one year of difference was exaggerated)
- artistic people dress in black in order for the scientists to be noticed
- smiling blank in Vienna means that you perfectly understand what the other is talking about however without the need to answer
- having an existential crisis after a christening because you don't know if or when you should blow out the candle must have to do with your childhood. Dad asks for forgiveness for having turned out the light in your bedroom to soon.
- not bringing once girlfriend to Vienna could result in a paranoid tracing her down by means of some hundred text messages, and causes traumatic damage and an urge to return home to find out where she has been hiding while you were gone
- I still have the pair of lederhosen your grandfather forced me to wear after a rainy climb of some mountain in Austria when I was nine. I swore never to wear them again AND not to return to Austria ever. I have been successful in wearing the lederhosen only when no one could see it, but I must admit I can't hide having ended up in Vienna after all.

Love ya
Dad

 
At 9:01 am, Blogger sara cacao said...

Your lil'sis is just adorable!! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home