Friday, March 25, 2005

Ochill Fells & Pooh

Easter weekend kind of caught me by surprise this year. Which is no mean feat considering the sickingly yellow and brown displays of chocolate eggs and bunnies in every shop window. Still, it wasn't until both mine and fi's parents started sending out the annual Easter texts "any plans to visit?", that I became aware of it's actual nearing.

Despite my desire for chocolate (and family company, of course ;-) I'd decided to be a model PhD student for once and use the time to get some more work done *coughs*. My good intentions lasted a whole 3 hours into the day. The Fluff was restlessly squawking around the house, looking very bored. It rubbed off on me quite rapidly, so I was immensly relieved when she suggested going for a short walk near Ochill Fells. Despite the quite humid passage through the forest on the way to the reservoir, it was a highly invigorating 10-mile hike. I suppose it would have taken us slightly less than 3 hours if it weren't for the Fluff's desire to chase fox- and pine marten pooh *grin*.


(Zoologists' pooh handling)

I have to say the whole phenomenon is growing on me. It was fascinating to see her take some of them apart to reveal actual vole mandibles and spine disks. Although I could still not quite get myself to handle or sniff them from too close by, I was quite happy to stare at them being taken apart. Monkey see monkey do, I suppose, so I expect I'll be doing it myself before too long. I just wish I could reciprocate fi's gesture of passing on her education in some way or the other during our hikes. Hmmm... wonder where to hike to get my hands on some dark matter? ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home