Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Ceud mil failte!

When the weatherforecaster announced "two days of severe storms and snow for the north-western parts of Scotland, followed by a milder weekend"... I merely sniggered. It's April for goodness'sake! I'd just woken up with the sun on my face, people were wearing T-shirts and I was about to set off for the Outer Hebrides with my mum & brother! Snow?!? I don't think so!

*coughs*

Well... how was I supposed to know? Really?!

By the time we'd reached Inverness we'd ditched our sunglasses, switched off Dusty Springfield and were staring incredulously at the roadsign signalling: "All Ferry-Traffic from Ullapool Cancelled". So we did what any self-respecting tourist would and made a detour to Loch Ness. Despite our best efforts, we failed to catch a glimpse of Nessie. But I DID find a brilliantly tacky snow-shaker for Fi's collection!



- Calanais Stones, Isle of Lewis -

We reached Ullapoool by dinnertime & were utterly charmed by the place. So when we were told the next morning that the ferry had again been cancelled due to snowfall, we didn't feel too miserable and immediately set off exploring the coastal path up to Lochinver. We have a Colin Prior poster of Inverpolly in our lounge, but I never really imagined I would actually once drive through there. It was amazing. (Lynne, I will want to fetch a ride up with you when you go there next year! ;-)

The Ferry-trip across was less memorable. I spent the best part of it hovered over a sickbag whilst the waves splashed over onto our deck.

The weather took a turn for the worst once we set foot on the Isle of Lewis. We spent the remaining days of our trip battling our way through wind and rain. And although my pictures may not show any signs of rain, it was absolutely pissing it down.



- Black House Village, Isle of Lewis -

We quickly came to realise just how different island life is. Granted, the whole of Brittain is an island, but unlike Lewis & Harris, it does not depend on a ferry line to get essential foods across for its 20,000 inhabitants. With the ferry lines cancelled so often the past few days, most restaurants had run out of supplies for their main dishes. So I suppose I oughtn't have been too surprised to get a few cheddar-sprinkled leaves upon ordering the Greek salad ;-)

We drove across the island & were absolutely stunned by its beauty. The crossover from Lewis into Harris is really quite dramatic. And despite the weather, I couldn't help but get excited by its beaches. (Although we did have to leave the bathing suits behind ;-)



- Seilebost Beach, Isle of Harris -

It was so worth the visit, and if I am to believe the missus, we'll be back there this summer to properly enjoy the white beaches & turqoise waves with some surf lessons. With the guarantuee of better weather it does sound very appealing. Although... I do hear those midges are a b*@%?! *mental note to self: check the guidebook before booking!!!*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home