Friday, March 14, 2008

Nasal Phonetics

The downside of having a blogger-girlfriend is the incessant race for "the scoop". If your blogging other half happens to be in-between jobs (i.e. freeloading) whilst you yourself are committed to a full-time professional career, there is simply no competition. She gets all the scoops first.

In other words... if you want a full account of her move over to the Flatlands, I suggest you direct yourself to her blog. She's developed a wee obsession with her statcounter anyway, so it may give her a few kicks if you do ;-)

As for my account of the ordeal: it went very smoothly. My flat is far too cramped for two people and their respective carry-on, but I love having her here. Jo on the other hand, is ever so slightly suspicious of my claims to "being perfectly happy", because I spent the last three days in bed. Struck down in the prime of life by virus and exhaustion. I think she assumes it to be a symptomatic manifestation of some inner turmoil and malaise caused by her moving into "my space", but I seriously doubt that having "my space" invaded would cause snot to run from my every orifice.

Moving on.

A consequence of these last 3 days of bed-ridden snottiness, is that I've been at home when she comes back from her Dutch class. She snuggles up on the bed next to me to tell me all about her new adventures, and then tries out her new vocabulary. I make attempts at teaching her the correct pronunciation but it's very difficult to phoneticize your words when you've got a head full of snot. So, quite unintentionally, my Scottish girlfriend is now going around pronouncing all her dutch words like she's got two peas stuck up her nostrils.

Gesundheit!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home