Sunday, February 24, 2008

Right then. The Scoop.

My girrel's got ants in her pants. And that, ladies and gents, is the essence of today's Big Scoop. But let me go off on a lazy sunday tangent.

We've all got our wee nickity pickety "wars" to battle in life. Mine's probably intrinsic antinomicity. How does one successfully enable co-existence of one's intrinsic contradictory needs, wants and beliefs? How to satisfy, for instance, a want for chaos but need for stability? How to merge the longing for novelty with the need for the familiar?

If we were one-dimensional creatures it'd be complicated at best. Take into account the multi-dimensionality of our existence and the fact that sometimes, different aspects of our lives seem to evolve at different speeds, and it's like trying to figure out a rubic's cube when colour blind.

Since I've met Jo, it's like that rubic's cube has developed a will of its own. The more I try to force it, the more it unravels. But if I simply lay out my options, and probe my way around with an open mind, the planes magically appear to line up. Things start making sense. That's a rather unnerving discovery for a control freak like myself.

I've been restless. I know I need to hang fire here in Belgium to finish this particularly steep learning curve before I can take the next step in life. But I have an urge to skip ahead. Dive into that next comfort zone. A clash of a need and a want. Meeting Jo, at first, seemed like the ideal escape route. An excuse to skip ahead. But when her and I are together, it's like an entirely new dynamic emerges. Whenever we feel like speeding up, skipping ahead or get entangled in a war of two opposing wants, needs or beliefs, it slows us down. Forces us to focus on what we would otherwise fail to notice. And every time we let it, the planes of the rubic's cube start lining up. Not always correctly, but ever closer to a solution.


After weeks of charting both our options, struggling with our own and each other's antinomicity, the dynamic suddenly gained unexpected speed. Circumstances changed and Jo decided to quit her job in England. She's been successfully unemployed for 4 weeks now and last Thursday, she landed herself a wonderful job in... Belgium.

It will bring chaos to the stability, novelty to the familiar. And chocolate waffles to the wee Scot. It might bring out the best opportunities for both of us, blend opposing wants and needs. In any case, we're about to cross over into a new comfort zone in at least one life aspect. And suddenly... I feel surprisingly calm.

6 Comments:

At 4:03 pm, Blogger Greet said...

Congratulations! I'm happy for you guys :)

 
At 4:29 pm, Blogger Sara said...

Congratz!

And I think I need some of your ratio to clarify my life as much as you seem to be able to understand and explain yours.

 
At 4:31 pm, Blogger Sara said...

Or "reason", rather than "ratio". English can be confusing :-/

 
At 8:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been a privilege and real joy meeting and getting to know Jo in Vienna, and I welcome her with open arms. I hope she finds her own reasons to love and accept her new home country, as I had to do, and finds the balance between Le Pew's circle of friends and her own yet to be build.
The step is huge, the change is drastic. One can only envy the intense love which carries this decision.
Fly high Jo! And save landings.

 
At 9:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's great! Congrats! Make this a positive step ahead... together. My best to both of you, Ladies. :)

 
At 8:35 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Thanks peeps!

And Sara: Talk and theories are cheap ;-) I admit I'm very good at "fitting" things into wee theories, but I'm not all together sure that really means I understand it all that much better than anyone else... It's like the placebo effect, you THINK you've found a theory to explain something, therefore you FEEL it's all explained and you become temporarily less restless... even if perhaps it's not the right theory at all ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home