Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mt.Ruapehu Collapse

I'm in Vienna at the moment for a wee family visit and while I normally read the newspaper over breakie, it takes more than one strong coffee in the morning before I dare attempt ploughing my way through a german newspaper. So I am always greatful if others cut my struggle short by pointing out the significant events for me (thx dad):

Last October, I spent 10 days in Taupo (NZ) whilst waiting for the snowstorm at the Tongariro Crossing to clear. The first signs of renewed activity at Mt.Ruapehu broke out on the day of my arrival there and I had somewhat foolishly hoped that this would herald a wee miniature natural disaster for me to explore while I was there.

While Mt.Ruapehu is one of the world's most active volcanoes, the issue at hand is not the risk of a sudden violent lava eruption but rather the overspilling of its crater lake. These last two decades, the Ruapehu crater (which is about the size of 23 football fields) has filled up with water and volcanic debris, and the walls of the crater now look set to collapse. When this happens, it will trigger what is known as a Lahar.

"A Lahar is a type of mudflow composed of pyroclastic material and water that flows down from a volcano, typically along a river valley. They have the consistency of concrete: fluid when moving, then solid when stopped." (source: Wiki)

New Zealand is absolutely geared towards professional monitoring of its volcanic landmarks and the installment of early-warning systems will allow documentary makers to record the event when it happens. This will undoubtedly lead to some spectaculair footage and valuable scientific data. I can hardly wait. *Psyched*

- Mt.Ruapehu (The Calmer Days, 5/10/06) -
For more of my volcanic piccies click here, here or here

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home