Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Not So Fiery Pits

After a week's wait, we finally got the go-ahead for the Tongariro Crossing. We were warned that snow would be knee-deep at times and with predicted 70kph winds, we knew it wasn't going to be an easy, summery stroll. But, doing the crossing was what drew me to New Zealand in the first place and I wasn't about to be put off by a few snowy gales. When we set off at 6am, the sun was just about making its way up and thanks to a nifty self-made filter system, I managed to capture an early morning shot of Mt.Ngauruhoe, better known as Mt.Doom of the fiery pits of Mordor. It looks surprisingly meek doesn't it? :-)


While I started the climb with my Single Serving Friends R&S, I had to forfait their company fairly quickly, what with them being long gangly lads and me being not much taller than a short-arse. I simply could not keep up with their long-legged strides. Fortunately, I managed to hook up with an equally short-arsed weegie lass, who just so happened to be a Physicist as well. Geeks united.


The views were stunning. I can genuinely say I've rarely been as awed by anything in my life. The sheer magnitude of the craters. The brightness of colours. Sides of the crater so hot that snow simply could not settle on it. Smells alternating between sulpher and fresh mountainsnow. And then the rumbling. We had not been given any information on how to recognize activity dangers, so when the volcano started sounding off deep loud grumbles accompanied by slight tremors, quite a few people on the track got spooked.


Here's where I find out that I am a faulty specimen in terms of the fight-or-flight response: As soon as the crater started rumbling, I got excited beyond the ridiculous. Adrenaline racing through my veins and rather than thinking about safety, I was hoping for some magma action. Several people actually made a U-turn at this point and forfaited the remainder of the walk. I, however, simply could not stop myself (sorry mum&dad, it was just TOO exciting!!!). Thankfully, it never actually went beyond rumbling.


I could ramble on about the experience for hours, but I doubt anything could convey the experience better than a few of my pictures, so I shall simply shut up and let you see for yourselves:


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home