Friday, October 13, 2006

Geothermal Wonderland

I'm in Rotorua (Wai-o-Tapu) at the moment which means that while you guys are sat on a comfortable 30 kms of earthcrust, my own bum is a mere 7 kms away from a whirlpool of magma. Because the Earth's crust is so much thinner here than in the rest of the inhabited world, the whole area is rather unstable. Rotorua experiences around 900 light earthquakes a year and is drenched is the unmistakable smell of sulphur. Everywhere you go it's pretty much as if you've stuck your nose in a box of rotting eggs. On the streets, rain-drains and sewerholes are continuosly steaming due to the natural hot springs that are doted around the town.

It does make for some stunning scenery though:

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 9:12 am, Blogger Disco said...

I am quite concerned and am therefore sending you these links, although none of them deal specifically with boiling mud:

Quicksand Myth Debunked: You Can Float Free

Quicksand Help

 
At 4:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ooh that's amazing. Although watch you don't burn your bum!!

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger Mad Dog said...

Fantastic pictures -very exciting too. Please also take heed of Tracey's sentiment...

 
At 6:31 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Lol. I will.

BTW, Mad Dog... are you following me?! I seem to be running into a surprising number of Mad Dog signboards on the streets these last couple of days. Will have to start documenting them I think! ;-)

 
At 6:32 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

PS: Disco... you're in luck... Poste Restante is literally 2 streets away from my hostel, so will go pick up the stuff you sent me first thing on Monday. (And FIY... there were no guns or knives in sight when I passed by it today so looks like you will have failed to cock up the situation ;-)

 
At 10:00 am, Blogger Disco said...

It'll be interesting to see if it made it, I'm inherently suspicious of the mail system after the scandal at (the now closed) Sub-world just across the road from work. As for cock-ups, I've heard there are plenty of opportunities for the right person in South America ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home