Tuesday, February 27, 2007

The Weight of Words

There's few things I like more than spending an evening in conversation with a close friend over a few drinks. I'm fortunate to have friends who speak their minds at any given moment in time. I thrive off the feedback because I know that every word spoken, is softened by the warmth and safety of a strong friendly bond. My close friends - each and every one of them - have challenging minds and ways of thinking. It keeps me on my toes. It motivates me to take a step back and take stock of who I am and where I am at. It helps me redefine ideas, wear down my sharper edges or, failing that, to at least become aware of them. I might not always agree with their points of view, but I'm inclined to at least take them on board, because they come from minds I very much respect and admire.


Last night, over a quiet drink in a cosy li'l caff, the topic floated to the use of words. How to use them, when to use them and the subtle shifts between them.

It was pointed out to me that the language I use in my blog is becoming denser over time. That I increasingly use expensive words and that my sentence-structures have become more intricate. He pointed out that he didn't mean to focus on this in a pejorative light, but rather, as a simple observation. I have to admit that I wasn't really aware of any of this but he's right in that it's an important notion to consider when your writings are intended to reach an audience.

I think it's important to situate who your target audience is, because that generally determines your choice of topic and your choice of style. I gave my friend's opinions a lot of thought last night, because he of all people is someone who's viewpoints I value greatly. While his analysis is undoubtedly right, I think I've finally honed in on where I stand on the matter personally right now.


If I'm honest... I write this blog predominantly for myself. The average amount of time I spend on compiling my blogposts is about 10-15 minutes. I generally don't weigh my words nor my topics much. It's like a stream-of-conscious finding an easy outlet. My blog is like the proverbial shoebox of memories and thoughts stacked under the bed. And your part in this, as a reader, is to shine different colours of light on those memories and thoughts, so I can see more of the subtle aspects of them. So they become richer.


And the way I write, on a personal forum intended for no audience in particular, comes from deep within my belly. It's the raw, unpolished version of the language that reigns my thoughts. I love words. I love the richness of language. If I were to write science for the general public, I would adjust the level of language. But in personal matters, I revel in the richness of it all. I like thinking that my readers, like me, will go search for the meaning of a particular word they don't know yet, so words get replicated in more minds and grow stronger in their existence. My friend is one of those who do make the effort to look things up and keep learning. I think that is exactly the target audience I wish to attract, for that is exactly the person I am.

To finish off this post, I want to leave you with a gem of a phrase I recently came across in a French obituary:



"Il a basculé pour l’imparfait,
ce vilain temps l’on ne parle de lui quau passé... "

QED ;)



Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 4:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well chosen words and carefully built sentences formulated by any individual reflect the inner emotions and actual state of mind of that person and allows the reader to get a glimpse of what that individual is experiencing at that given moment in life. Semantics is a powerful weapon in discovering the thoughts behind an idea or a concept expressed by someone you know or do not know at all. Because very often the mere choice of a word says more than the whole sentence. The power of language indeed... How exhilarating!

When one does know the person however, the interpretation of such thoughts, feelings and reflections on life is a wonderful tool to try to grasp the subtle changes in mood, focus, attention and interest that given person is experiencing.
I find it a very rewarding exercise to sometimes go back to earlier postings on your blog in order to understand how a posting about a somewhat trivial subject is followed by a more insightful expression of one or more overwhelming impressions.
A shoebox is indeed just that. This mixture between the trivial and the deep, between just writing and expressing, between posting to post and composing to make something worth while reading is what I think your blog is all about.

It is sometimes volatile, more often interesting than trivial but always an absolute pleasure to read.

 
At 5:23 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

It's genetics as much as semantics, clearly ;-) Cheers dad! x

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Of course, wherever possible I like to up the levels of trivia on Ubiquitous and therefore, as we're talking words, l'm going to point you in the direction of some you may not yet have heard / know the meaning of, courtesy of the Washington Post and its readers.

But actually, I'd second all that Mr Pew-Dad has said, and I'll leave you with a quote:

No one means all he says, and yet very few say all they mean, for words are slippery and thought is viscous. - Henry Adams

 
At 10:54 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, just thought i'd say...i have a daily internet routine, when time permits -
read what i can from online newspapers, run through myspace stuff to keep in contact with people (sucks always moving to a different place huh), check and see if phdcomics.com and xkcd.com have new comic strip out and check beyondflutterby for new blog postings. Yes, you are indeed now part of my daily internet activities.

I bet you feel proud, and also honoured.

So, like, don't feel pressured...just cos like...everyones watching...or sommat..


;)



(muhahahaha)

 
At 9:21 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Disco: It's funny that you of all people should comment on this post, as your blog is one of those I read predominantly for its use of language (and to keep up with your antics of course ;-)

Od: Get back on MSN Irish!! It's not fair that you're stalking me when I can't nudge you anymore!!! (PS: how's the missus coping with you as her household pet??)

 
At 4:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha. but this is more fun, especially as i don't have a blog on here for you to return the annoyingness on (i'm just bad at blogging. better with the spoken word - cos i'm good at pretending to know things...)

i am no longer an msner, tbh. World of Warcraft now ranks as my number one activity on the internet. I'm regretting ever starting to play it....

btw, you're the only person ever to have nicknamed me 'Irish'. it's kinda nice, in a odd-european-humour kinda way..
;)

the missus is coping marvellously well with my lack of ability to function as a normal human being. she should be made a saint. or at least beatified....Blessed Missus of Od.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home