Thursday, October 05, 2006

Volcano Country

I have at last arrived at the highlight and sole reason for my visit to New Zealand: Volcanic Country. It seems like I will have to bide my time a bit though. The crossing through the Vulcanic National Park is closed due to:

(1) an unexpected snowstorm last week
(2) small earthquake yesterday
(3) signs of onset of vulcanic activity the last two days



So, for the time being I am in Taupo, where I will wait until the route opens up again. Taupo itself is a village that lies at the top of a caldera volcano (a volcano which has collapsed in on itself and filled with water over time). While it is now a huge lake, it is not inactive. Caldera volcanos erupt less frequently but violently when they do so. There are several hot water streams and waterfalls around the area, and I intend to take a bike out to track a few of them down.

I'm staying at a lovely hostel and there's plenty of other "waiters" around to occupy myself with. And just to show how small the world is, yet again... I stayed up late chatting and at one point the conversation focussed on food. I mentioned that I have a penchant for sushi and mexican and the guy (who's not from Zurich) gets all excited and says: "Ooooh ooooh, the BEST mexican I've ever been to..." and I finished his sentence for him: "... is in Zurich!". To which he says: "YES YES YES".

How random is this life? That two foreigners should meet over coffee half way across the globe and discuss their favorite mexican restaurant somewhere random in Europe and have it be the same one?!?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home