Sunday, October 08, 2006

Staggering Stupidity & Striking Stereotypes

CONVERSATION #1:

Yorkshire Lass: "So where you lot from?"
Us: "Belgium, France and Denmark."
Yorkshire Lass: "Oh right. So where are they on the map then, with respect to like England?"
Us: " ... "
Yorkshire Lass: "I'm not dumb like, but I'm just no good at that geomography stuff."

*Note: Yorkshire Lass, 24, BA in communications from Leeds Uni


CONVERSATION #2:

Mis-en-scene: Two 18-year old blondes are sunbathing on the hostel terrace, while I'm having a conversation with a Kiwi and a Scot nearby.

Scot: "Girls, you really ought to put on some sunscreen lotion."
Blondes: "Why?"
Kiwi: "Because there's a massive hole in the ozonlayer right above NZ and we've got the second highest incidence rate of skin cancer in the world."
Blonde#1: "But it's not hot, I'm not sweating like."
Blonde#2: "What's an ozonlayer?"


CONVERSATION#3:

Mis-en-scene: Guy sat next to me with a cigarette in his hand and an american flag on his T-shirt. So, for a joke I say:

Me: "An American who smokes and is still proud to flaunt his nationality. You MUST be Texan."
Guy: "Yeah, I'm from Austin!! Is it THAT obvious?!"

7 Comments:

At 10:40 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

My new project student. 3rd year Biochemistry degree. From Derbyshire.

Me: "I'm from the Lake District"
Him: "Where's that?"
Me: "...!"

The vacuous nature of some undergrads/graduates doesn't surprise me, but that one caught me off guard!

 
At 7:21 am, Blogger Disco said...

Oh no! In one swell foop you've created an association in people's minds between us Yorkshire folk and blondes and Texans. This may take weeks to rectify...

 
At 9:05 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Weelll... ;-)

 
At 7:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can NOT be serious? I thought I was dense!!

 
At 7:35 am, Blogger fi said...

As a blonde graduate from Leeds Uni, I'd just like to point out that their are always exceptions to every stereotype.

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Are you trying to imply that you are that exception or that "their" are other people who are the exception to the stereotype you fit? ;p

Sorry... It was just too easy ;p

 
At 9:06 am, Blogger fi said...

D'oh!

*hangs head in shame*

and I would have gotten away with it too if it wasn't for you pesky kids...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home