Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Election Promises

It appears some politicians do in fact stick to their election promises after all. Since Evo Morales came into power as President of Bolivia last December, the headlines have been as follows:

Bolivia's new leader vows change
Bolivia leader halves his own pay
Bolivia to write new constitution
Bolivian leader seeks debt relief
Bolivia natural resources takeover alarms powerful allies
Crisis talks on Bolivia gas move

It's an impressive little list after a mere 5 months in power, to say the least. I know too little about the natural resource situation in Latin America to give a sufficiently educated comment on his latest move to de-privatise the country's natural resources. But I can't help but be intrigued. Here's a man who not only believes in a radical change away from the current globalisation trend in politics but also seems to have an executable strategy at the ready. It's interesting to watch these events unfold. If anyone has any good links related to this topic, feel free to post them in the comment section, I'd much appreciate it.

4 Comments:

At 7:20 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Don't know if you'd class them as 'good' but...

From the Inventory of Conflict & Environment Bolivia: Civil Unrest and Natural Gas, December 2005

Reconquering the Collective Patrimony of the Nation, June 2005

The Curse of Wealth Underground, July 2004

And via George Soros' Open Society Institute Follow the money, November 2004

 
At 7:49 am, Blogger Disco said...

I've belatedly discovered that Instapundit had some comments to make on the whole oil / gas problem. I particularly like Cosmic Variance's "wrongness singularity" response.

 
At 8:01 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Cheers Ann!! I knew you'd reply with lots of helpful links. Much appreciated :-)

I've bookmarked the Cosmic Variance Blog. I find the post about the wrongness singularity hilarious. Brought out the geeky physicist in me ;-) Cheers for that!!

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger Disco said...

I'm a sucker for a good link quest. It's one of my better weaknesses :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home