Saturday, April 29, 2006

Purty



Definitely spring then ey? I took this shot while working on the thesis corrections yesterday. It's damn hard to get back into the swing of things after 2 months away from the thesis. I keep getting that twisted knot in my stomach each time I pull myself towards the draft. But with the two-week deadline approaching fast, I really have no choice. The coffee's flowing plentifully and ideas for procrastination are whizzing through the mind yet again after a whole two months of abscence. Funny that.

I've been getting stuck into Robert Winston's Human Instinct. As predictable as I thought it would be, it's been quite an eye-opener. It's strange to see how much of one's action are subconsciously driven by primeval instincts. And it's a bit of a toss-up as to whether or not this subconscious drive actually excuses some of my own worst habbits. It'd be comforting to think that they are not to be ascribed to my own failure, though I'm more inclined to think the opposite. Ahh well...

It reminds me of a rather appropriate quote I found on a mate's website yesterday: "He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." - Dr. Johnson. I actually had to mill that one around in my head a few times.

Till I'm done with the book tho, I'm inclined to say that what draws me to others is their passion. And I supose passion comes from very primeval drives too. But there's no way around it... people who get stuck in, get wrapped up in the heat of the moment, "go off on one", or who simply cannot stop themselves from getting involved & being touched by things... their passion reels me in, line, hook and sinker. Self-control does only so much before it starts eating away at the essence of "you".

1 Comments:

At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen to the last paragraph!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home