Monday, March 21, 2005

Busy-ness

After months of planning, my tall and smiley friend Caffy finally graced us with her presence these past 3 days. We're not the most accomplished hosts at the best of times, but this weekend Caffy found herself faced with a highly irrate Sarah&Fi shedule. And she rose to the occasion quite wonderfully.

On Saturday we dragged her onto a train headed for Glasgow, to attend an Anti-War Demo in commemoration of the 2nd Anniversary of the Invasion of Iraq.



I have to admit it was quite useful having a friend there who arrests and interrogates people for a living. If only to learn how to dodge camera detection or spot undercover agents ;-) Despite the enticing enthousiasm of some other people of our group, I wasn't too keen on getting my name booked by the coppers. Though, for some bizarre reason I felt a pang of jealousy when I heard Sam and his mother talk about the many times they'd been arrested at Demos. Perhaps it'd be wise to investigate that emotion a bit further, before attending the G8 Demos in July ;-)

All in all, the event passed by quite peacefully. Despite the remarkable lack of student presence, there was a large delegation of OAPs with samba drums, and a very loud group of primary school kids chanting:

"Tony Blair, you are scum,
you stole money off my mum,
and you spent it on your bloody war,
we don't want you here no more."


Which was very amusing :-)

The weather was too moody on Sunday to allow us an attempt up Ben Ledi, so we eventually settled for a hike around Loch Lomond. It became quite obvious that I've grown accustomed to being the one in charge of a car. After a mere 5minutes in the backseat, I felt too nauseous to keep up proper conversation, and it thus became a very long and silent trip along the windy backroads leading up to the Loch.


(...on the way to Loch Lomond)

Despite the weather, it was absolutely gorgeous out there. Though it took me a while to recover from the scare of spotting what turned out to be a drowned sheep in the lake-bedding. We paid a visit to Rob Roy's cave, which was somewhat disappointing, as someone had painted the word CAVE above it, with an arrow pointing downward. Which pretty much desacrated the whole story of secrecy behind it. Very much like the sign on the way to Oswestry which points you towards the "Secret Bunker".



We spend the remainder of the evening in maddening search for a pubroast, and topped it off with a viewing of the George Lucas classic "Willow". Much to my amusement, Fi and Caffs considered it to be a gaping hole in my culture if I dared pass on an opportunity to watch it. So under loud jeers I plugged it into our DVD player. ... I have to say... I finally understand a whole lot more about the reasons behind the psychedellic pursuits of british 20-somethings! *raises eyebrow* Dear me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home