Sunday, October 21, 2007

Sunday Struggle # 14

1. The moleskin project: everyone has them these days: the moleskin notebook. I have a dozen blank ones at home still, in a myriad of sizes, because every time I pass by them in the shops, I have an uncontrollable urge to get one. It's like a paper-version of the magpie's shiny-object kleptomania. Anyway, I found this website recently where people can post snapshots out of their moleskins. It's worth a browse.


2. Big Foot Wheelchair. This I find fascinating: Re-designing existing concepts such as the wheelchair, not merely from a functional perspective, but from an aesthetic perspective too. It makes sense doesn't it? We all attach tremendous importance to how the world perceives us. We often choose our car, clothes, sportsgear and glasses for the image they portray. Then why not the same for medical aids? If you're bound to a wheelchair, you have a big enough struggle to make others see beyond the chair. If you can help them find your true personality by sprucing up the design of the wheelchair, then I think that's brilliant!

3. Simply Scripts: a database of filmscripts, as the actors/directors use them. Handy if you're teaching yourself how to write a script without splashing out on expensive second-rate writing classes.

4. The Classic Typewriter: earlier this week, I dug up my mum's old typewriter. I spend far too much time on the laptop, and was desperate to find an alternative that doesn't leave my thumb and index finger cramped up around a pen. I went looking for parts and re-fill ink-tapes and came out on this website. It's a beauty. Not sure I will actually find much use for the typewriter as it's noise as hell and heavy to lug around, but it was fun, nostalgic passe-temps while it lasted.

5. Grandma's Kitchen. I think a lot of modern design is far from practical. Many designs aim at multi-functionality, but I wonder if designers take into account the aspect of comfort. It's all good and wall to make objects like chairs, tables, shelves and beds multifunctional: use yer chair as a table, or store your bed in a shelf against the wall, but I'm hardly gonna purchase it if it's not comfortable or a hassle to configure.

I'm open to new concepts, but one mustn't lose sight of why certain objects have had standard forms/shapes for so many years. It's like the evolution of inanimate objects: we try and test new designs, and certain elements stick, depending on a interplay of societal and personal needs and wants. Look at this for example:



A multifunctional, stow-away kitchen/diner. Call me old-fashion or lazy, but why would I pay for a design if it's gonna ask me to "build" my own kitchen each time I need it? I can follow the reasoning of space-saving, but even then... anyone who's ever served anyone a meal, knows that it's a back and forth between table and kitchen. It'd be downright stressfull to have both table and kitchen be the same space and same item.

6. Cake-mould: This on the other hand, I could see myself buying. It's just quirky and fun. We've had lots of birthdays at work recently and the dividing up of a cake in exact pieces, or to the guest's desire is somewhat chaotic. Now you could just point and go: (Andy-voice) I WANT THAT ONE!




If you find any other fun but pointless gimmicks or designs, I'm interested ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home