Monday, September 24, 2007

The Ivory Tower indeed

I'm a big fan of Richard Dawkins. The Blind Watchmaker and The Selfish Gene rank among my top 50 and his latest, The God Delusion, is high on my "I want" list. So when I found his documentaries online, I decided to spend a few choice evenings indulging in stolen TV viewing.

Unfortunately, I'm thoroughly disappointed. As clever as his theories and writing may be, his TV persona comes across rather arrogant and aggressive. It is easy to see why: The man is painfully intelligent, passionate about his subject and has spent the last few years fighting hundreds of science quacks. He has most likely learned the hard way that playing offense often pays off more than defense.

But if you are constructing a documentary series that aims to demonstrate the dangers of diluted or manipulated science (Enemies of Reason, Channel 4), a respectful approach is more likely to gain converts. Instead, Dawkins sneers at "the superstitious" and adopts an aggressive tone on more than one occassion.

His head to head with Deepak Chopra is simply painful to watch. Painful perhaps, because I am an admirer of both men. Chopra has regretfully abused many of the concepts of quantum physics... an act few scientists seem capable of forgiving. But strip away the inflated terminology and Chopra has some very valid points to make that contradict sound science on no level. Dawkins, however, positions himself as a man rarely descended from the Ivory Tower, idly and unconvincingly stabbing away at Chopra's theories.

I doubt this series will manage to convince anyone but the convinced. A lost opportunity if ever I've seen one.

3 Comments:

At 8:38 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Dawson vs Tyson.

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Dawkins even. Duh!

 
At 6:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got the book for you in Dutch. You can have it when you come to Vienna, sis.
I read it twice, was impressed by the research and arguments of others, but my ignosticism wasn't entirely satisfied. I'm still trying to find out what Dawkins himself added to the already well documented discussion, but I am still searching. ANd that tone of voice indeed...!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home