Friday, October 19, 2007

The Feable

I think that should become my nickname. I'm ill again. No surprise really, I've not really been looking after myself properly. Amazing how a responsible adult can so easily default on the essential care of herself. Anyway, it's nothing that can't be remedied, and if the last couple of months have taught me one lesson, it's that PROACTIVENESS is this decade's buzzword, so it probably wouldn't hurt to try and apply it to my own life.

The depressing bit is not the illness itself, but the fact that I had to cancel my trip over to York this weekend. It means I have to wait till November 1st to see my girrel again, which will make it three months (THREE MONTHS!!!) since our last rendez-vous. If I had known then that it would take this long to see her again, I probably wouldn't have come back home at all.

Ahh well, I'm over-dramatising. I think we've both established that there's an upside to every downside and it will serve our relationship well to learn how to tackle moments like this. And we're not doing too badly, if I say so myself ;-)

It's been a while since I was forced to take bed-rest and it's doing me good, I have to say. I get bored, but luckily I have a humongous stack of books to occupy myself with. I read 650 pages the last two days. The book I'm currently reading is Blink (Malcolm Gladwell), which is a very interesting read. It's about the value of snap judgements weighed up against cautious, contemplated decision-making. I'm overall a fairly impulsive person, operating on intuition and I often make decisions based on feelings of which the "why" I can't properly explain. So, this read is elucidating.

The next books in the line-up are Fast Food Nation (Eric Schlosser), How to be Good (Nick Hornby for some light relief) and then Hegemony or Survival (Noam Chomsky). So I think I've got boredom covered for the next few days of illness ;-)

4 Comments:

At 10:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

O dear. Get well soon. Shall I bring you some lamasoup? It helped me through my illness :) It's good to feed your brain, but your body needs some tlc too :)

 
At 11:21 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Thanks for the offer lama. How long were you ill for?

The body does need TLC. The parental unit is providing it with nutrients. On november 1st, Jo will hopefully donate the cuddles ;-)

 
At 12:13 pm, Blogger Pathological procrastinator said...

*said in a caring but no-messing tone* Now get back to bed babe *points upstairs* ;-)

 
At 5:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humpf, poor you! :( Hope this is nothing too serious?! (I'd say you scared us enough with your impromptu return from the Big Trip ;) ) Get well soon... and listen to the Pathological Procrastinator! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home