Tuesday, September 19, 2006

To flip or not to flip...

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I fear I may I have swallowed half the Pacific Ocean yesterday...

I get seasick on boats. I have a distinct dislike of open waters and an accute phobia of dangling my bare feet in places likely to house green-eyed monsters that might creep up to nibble them. Having said that, the sole intent and purpose of this Big Trek is to experience things well outside my comfort zone so as to probe my real and imaginary boundaries. As such, I simply could not pass up an opportunity to swim amidst wild Dusky Dolphins in the Pacific. While I have now established with certainty that my nautical-comfort boundaries are entirely real, the experience on the whole was more than worth the discomfort.

We were all hoisted into very sexy wetsuits, goggles, snorkel and a set of flippers and while I was flattered that our guide had estimated my suit-size to be a small size 10, in hindsight, I probably could have done with a bit more breathing space. As soon as I slid off the back of the boat into the freezing water, I started to hyperventilate. While everyone around me fluttered off in the direction of the dolphins, I was busy trying to make up my mind as to whether I should die by drowning or of a heart attack. By the time I'd come to my senses, the sound of the boat's horn signalled that is was time to get back on board.


Determined to have a more successful swim on the second try, I mentally psyched myself up before plunging back into the freezing ocean. From that point onward, the experience simply turned magical. The dolphins were all around us. Because they are wild animals they will not accept anyone trying to touch them, but if you entice their curiosity enough by singing through your snorkel or by frolicking alongside them, they will come closer to check you out.
I worry myself sometimes, because for some reason I could think of nothing better than to burst out in a chorus of The Proclaimers' "I would walk 500 miles", much to the amusement of the people who'd chosen to stay on the boat. For all its silliness, it worked and pretty soon they were tumbling through the waters near me and one even swam up from underneath me.

I have to admit I got a tad spooked when an Albatross decided to dive-bomb me, but considering they have a 3 meter wingspan, I think I'd be forgiven for losing my cool.


Pushing the boundaries turns out to be a very rewarding life-strategy and though I have contemplated surrendering to a Benji-jump or a sky-dive, I figure I ought to save some stuff for when my midlife crisis hits.

1 Comments:

At 6:51 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Despite an obvious dislike of flying I've always quite fancied a skydive, which is probably a lot to do with my imagined graceful, floaty descent; I always conveniently overlook the horrors of not only being inside a rickety little plane but one with an open door that, futhermore, I'm expected to jump through.

I know for a fact I'm not ever, ever doing a bungy jump. No sireee...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home