Thursday, September 21, 2006

Don't Panic

Communication will be substantially less the next ten days, although not necessarily non-existent as I may get access in Nelson (blog will temporarily take priority over e-mails&chats).

I hired a mountainbike and booked a boat to drop me off in the Queen Charlotte Sound. I plan to cycle the length of the mountainbike track in two days, after which a boat should come and pick me up again. *Fingers crossed they don't forget*. I'm seriously doubting my level of fitness, but I supose I will figure out whether I'm up to it soon enough. This is hardly no man's land, so I'll be fine. Upon my return, I will head off for a four day trek around the Abel Tasman coastline. I've never hiked on my own before and don't have the sharpest sense of direction, but I did do the Mountain Leadership Training and there are presumably a lot of other people on the track so Pew should technically be OK.

I'm accompanied by Jack Kerouac's On the Road, Dostoyevski's The Devils and Sebastian Faulks's Birdsong (I've discovered my bargaining skills in local second-hand bookstores!!!), so I'll be in good company. If I haven't returned to the blog by October 1st, it's time to look for signs of the wee Belge's emergency flares ;-)

2 Comments:

At 12:06 am, Blogger Dr Jim said...

Great minds: You'll never guess what I have packed to go to San Francisco, yup, Jack Kerouac's On the Road.

Figures!

Remember, the compass needle points South, lol! Of course, you're better off with a Southern hemisphere compass, as you know the needles are weighted differently.

Have fun!

Word verication: "uzrijio" - the Japanese word screamed as you fly out of control down a hill side atop a mountain bike.

 
At 4:47 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

lol, I think it goes more like: Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! ;-)

Let me know what u think of Kerouac. Tis always fun to read stuff in parallel with someone.

BTW, I've been unable to find Vonnegut so far. Fingers crossed the mighty city of Wellington stores a copy!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home