Thursday, May 25, 2006

Flappers

During my thesis write-up, it seems my laptop was incessantly downloading music. I'm a collector of the worst kind. When it comes down to books & music at least, I have an uncontrolable urge to "own" things. I might never get down to reading or listening to said book or album, but I want to at least be able to say: oh, yes... I have that one somewhere!!! Ready at my fingertips should anyone prompt me to listen to it or read it.

Now that I've heaps of time to actually listen to the stuff I've gathered these last few months, I have to say I'm pretty damn pleased with my mp3 collection! I've been getting stuck into a lot of 1920's-1940's music. Anything from the Golden Jazz-age up to the earlier Big Band stuff. The likes of Bessie Smith & Ella Fitzgerald. Brilliant stuff.


People fetching a ride in my car these days invariably raise an eyebrow at first, but the enthousiasm is catching.

I have decided that should I ever fall into the weddingtrap or should there ever be any need for a big kick-ass party to celebrate something in my life, then it shall be a full-fledged 1920's theme. Flappers galore!

And, should I return from my travels, short of an executable POA for my career path, I may just decide to open a little 1920's style establishment somewhere. Yes yes, I am aware that the 1920's marked the era of prohibition, but I'm not adverse to opening a wee bootleg style pub ;-) Passwords to get in and all that! Considering the lack of licencing back then, they seemed to have had a hell of a lot of fun. Women had embraced emancipation with a good sense of humour and without the need to demasculinise their male counterparts. The age of The Lost Generation, Art Deco, Gertrude Stein, the Charleston, the Flappers, bootleg liquor and bobbed hair... excellent themes for some fun methinks...

2 Comments:

At 12:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

go Ella, she's the girl

 
At 11:22 am, Blogger Disco said...

I saw this public domain collection this morning, just on the early side of your time frame in the 1900-1920s period, but you never know :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home