Thursday, January 26, 2006

Warped time & Misguided Design

Meh.

You know those days where you're just too damn close-up on the work you've been doing? When you lose grasp on what has been done and what still needs doing? I just spent the entire morning "regrouping" with myself. In Le Pew terms this normally means lots of shedules, color-coordinated agendas and puzzling. But it turns out I COMPLETELY miscounted the days left till hand in. February 15th is NOT as I assumed (for reasons beyond my grasp), a weekend, but rather a Wednesday *curses*. Anyway... Instead of my usual battle approach, I've simply drawn up a wee list of things that still need to be done, and rather than meticulously plan my next 20 days, I will simply work my way down this list and hope it is finished by the 15th. Fingers crossed.

Oh. And did y'all know today is a Friday?!?!


On an entirely different note, BBC2 aired an excellent documentary on Intelligent Design vs. Darwinian Evolution. I suspect others will comment on this documentary rather more intelligibly than I at this point am capable of, but a few comments struck me which I feel warrant a mention.

"Intelligent Design is a movement on behalf of religion which is going to destroy both science & religion" - By Rev.Coyden on how ID supporters manipulate religious leaders (such as Austrian Cardinal Shonbron) into speaking in their favour, while the Church has clearly issued a statement that Darwinism is not incompatible with the Christian Faith.

"One has yet to demonstrate a failing of the Darwinistic Theory. When we are unable to explain something, or when we don't understand something, it simply means we don't know yet. But this in itself is cannot be used as proof for a "Creator". You then transgress from the objective realm of science into the subjective." - Sir David Attenborough

I had planned on including something I read by Stuart Kauffman on the mathemtical probability issue of "chance events" which was discussed in the documentary, but someone smuggled my copy of his book into Rome and it has since not been seen. *thief!*

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marching Song of the Incompetents by Donald U. Wise, Professor Emeritus of Structural Geology (please sing to the tune of "Battle Hymn of the Republic"):

My bones proclaim a story of incompetent design
My back still hurts, my sinus clogs, my teeth just won't align
If I had drawn the blueprint I would certainly resign
Incompetent Design!
Evo-Evo-Evolution. Design is but a mere illusion
Darwin sparked our revolution. Science shall prevail!

Apparently this song had its premiere last October when hundreds of geologists sang it enthusiastically at the Geological Society of America Annual Meeting. Dammit, I always knew everyone got to go to more fun conferences than me.

 
At 3:44 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

lol. That's good. It's a popular point of mine. If we were "designed", then it wasn't done very "intelligently". Add collapsed feet arches and too narrow birth canal (but not if you rotate it to the angle it would adopt if we weren't bipedal) to the list.

Now why would a supposed "designer" go to such great lengths to put in place a highly complex immune system, but get the basic anatomy wrong? Hmm. See a great response to ID’s “irreversible complexity” fallacy here.

We are products of our relatively quick modification from a partial bipedal to upright bipedal and seeing as evolution works on a basis of "just good enough", well, if you can procreate and pass on your genes, then it doesn't matter that you’re back hurts, your teeth don’t meet (and there’s too damn many of them for our shrunken jaws) or even that the birth canal results in a significant amount of partal and post-partal morbidity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home