Wednesday, January 11, 2006

ScareMonger

Today's BBC News-site has a feature on Debt. It enables one to take a "Debt-Test" which is a questionnaire-based evaluation of one's financial situation.

I'm a PhD-student on a regular (tho small) stipend. I've moved back home temporarily for my write-up, so I don't pay rent or utilities. I owe no student debts, don't possess credit cards or store cards, and I don't have any monthly loan-repayments to keep up with.

I think you'd agree that any sane individual would judge my situation to be about as debt-free as it can possibly get. But, as a geeky individual like myself does on an early morning procrastination stint over coffee, I filled in the Debt-Test anyway.

Here's how they judged my financial situation:

" Your answers suggest that your debts might be about to cause some problems or they might be doing so already. Make time to review your current borrowing and try to avoid taking on any new debts at the moment. If you are struggling already, don't panic but do take action now."

Erm... OK?

Either the BBC has finally joined the mass media Scare-Mongering tactics, or some lazy sod on the editorial staff couldn't be bothered to compile more than one feedback result. Not cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home