Friday, May 09, 2008

Story-telling

It's funny. The less frequent one blogs, the fewer things seem relevant enough to be blogged about. The more one blogs, the more trivial occurrences suddenly seem worthy topics. Anything becomes blog-able if you blog frequently enough.

For me it seems that life is getting in the way. I'm too busy living to blog about it much. It is very much a two-edged sword. My blog has become a diary of sorts. A means to process things. To ensure it becomes a memory, in this increasingly scattered and forgetful mind. So, naturally, when I don't blog, I miss it immensely. But my life is accelerating, and I love immersing myself in it.

And I've come up with a story I want to write. Been doing research, developed characters, a plotline. Spent a few lazy sunday mornings snuggled up to my girl in bed recounting my ideas, soaking up her feedback doused in kisses. And in between the moving, the housepainting, the admin, the working and the playing, my leftover energy is drawn towards someone else's story. A fictional one that is becoming ever more real to me, with every day that passes.

It's made me realise that everything in life is about story-telling. Wether it's keeping family memories alive, processing our own feelings and thoughts by dramatising it to others over a coffee, a boss passing on stories of wisdom to teach his team, a marketer luring you into the world of his product, a photographer conjuring up a thousand neologisms with one image... life is about storytelling. That in itself could be an interesting topic for a book/script... but if I recall correctly, it's been done before. And better.

Stories are the most effective vehicles for thoughts and ideas, if they succeed in engaging their audience. Maybe the world cannot be changed with Politics or money or guns. Maybe stories can.

2 Comments:

At 1:57 pm, Blogger Edith Finistere said...

I'm very curious. Will you post it when it's ready?

 
At 9:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Write it down, as you would tell it, in it's simplicity and beauty, it's own pacing and rhythm, and find this one and only tone, your tone, so people can almost hear you tell the sorry yourself.
Then it becomes alive, and makes text fly, from page one till the surprising end. And the reader can say... this was a story worth listening to.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home