Thursday, May 08, 2008

Illegial Alien


When you move to the flatlands from a foreign country, you have to report yourself to the Belgian "vreemdelingendienst". To help Jo out a little, I filed the initial report online and called staff at the foreigners' department to arrange an appointment for her.

On the phone, they had asked me for the reason for Jo's move to Belgium. Since Jo's a citizen of a Shengen Country, any reason is pretty much a valid one, but I decided to stick to "an appealing job offer" rather than the "cuz she's head over heels in love with me!!" reply.

So, all seemed to go pretty smoothly. I'd decided to guard Jo's bike and wait for her outside the department later that day, thinking it'd just take a few minutes to get the necessary stamps. Some 50 minutes later, Jo finally strutts out, admitting she'd cocked up slightly.

When she first entered, the lady had asked her whether she knew this "Sarah" person. Jo being Scottish, thinks my name is "Sera". So when the lady pronounced it the Flemish way, it didn't register and Jo swiftly replied: "Erm... no, I don't think so."

When the lady, a little puzzled, tried again: "You don't know Ms.Xxxx"? Jo, finally recognizing my surname, said: "Oh her! Yes, I know her! Yes."

But clearly the damage had been done. In the mind of this lady, I'm now some dodgy trafficer and Jo needs to be subjected to a significantly lengthier round of questioning. Next time I take my girrel anywhere, I will be sure to remind her of my name.

2 Comments:

At 7:31 am, Blogger Sara said...

Haha! Sorry, but it's just too funny not to laugh. (I'll keep my fingers crossed to make sure everything goes well from now on!)

 
At 10:12 am, Blogger Pathological procrastinator said...

I guess it wouldn't have taken so long if:

a. The didn't need my criminal record *ahem*

b. There wasn't such a huge choice on bins - what size, with lock, without lock, unrecycleable garbage, compost etc etc

c. And then there's what goes in which bag/bin/when it gets collected/how much you get charged...

Tis all of course, more than worth it ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home