Thursday, January 17, 2008

There must be a kadzillion jobs out there that we never even consider as a career because we've either never heard of it, or are too uncreative to imagine them existing in the first place.

I mean, how many of us ever considered becoming a Fortune Cookie Writer, Snake Milker, Rodeo Clown, Gum Buster, Pet Psychologist or Human Canonball? I dare bet, few. It's quite refreshing to take a step back every now and then and ponder the possibilities.

Society has a way of making us feel that there are only so many paths one can follow. We should fight that doctrine, because although the classical paths have been trodden so often because they work, they are not the begin all and end all. There are so many alternatives out there. Not just in lifestyle, but in profession too. You have to at all times believe in yourself and in that fact that you are unusual enough to take a different path and make it work, should you ever choose or need to do so.

The realisation that things can be done differently, has been one of the more liberating realisations for me, personally. I remember thinking it on an almost daily basis whilst I was off travelling. How easy it was to slip out of that "western" mindset, and how light and fluid life suddenly felt. On the road, you meet scores of people more creative than yourself. People who've had the inspiration and balls to do things differently. Some fail, some succeed, but they feel free because they make different choices. Choices that are entirely their own.

In case you were wondering, this blogrant was in fact, quite curiously, inspired by Babes 'n Horny. Bare with me for a second here. Anyone who's ever bought a Diva magazine (as most british lesbians will have), will most likely be familiar with Babes 'n Horny, as their ads are splattered all over the magazine.

For those of you hesitant to check out the links, it's pretty safe to do so, because this is a company who's managed to take the cheap sleaze out of adult funtertainment and gave it a funky, accessible twist. Most products in their catalogue are handmade in their London office. And that is what made me think about this whole "unusual job" thing. There are people on staff at Babes 'n Horny, who spend their days designing and crafting naughty toys. And funky, ergonomic ones at that.


Surely their profession is a craft. And that made me wonder. How does one end up in a job like that? I mean, do you wake up one morning and think: "I want to make butt-plugs for a living?" and then just do it? I find it fascinating and liberating to think that there are soooo many options out there, you just have to dare consider them. I'm slightly jealous. And, I admit, also a little sad, because whilst I would probably have a fab time as a dildo-artist, I happen to love my current job, even if it just so happens to be... a more classically trodden path.

2 Comments:

At 5:00 pm, Blogger Fons said...

Reminds me of the website "Divine Interventions" (or is it devine). They sold vibrating friends shaped like characters from the bible.

For example "The little Jezus buttplug".

Hilarious. I can't seem to find their website anymore. Guess I'll never now if it was all a joke our not.

 
At 6:01 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

would it be this one?

http://www.divine-interventions.com/baby.php

 

Post a Comment

<< Home