Sunday, January 06, 2008

Update1: Glasgow

This is a hugely delayed update, but considering december consisted of a trip to Glasgow for Jo's 30th, a romantic trip to Paris and Jo's two-week visit in Ghent, I'd say I've got a valid excuse for the delay. I was actually living life for a change, rather than writing about it ;-)

So let's begin with the beginning: Glasgay.

It was a bit of a Blitz-visit, what with flying out after work on Friday and coming back on the Sunday afternoon, but there's no way I would've missed my girrel's 30th. Jo's dad had rallied up the family, her brother was flying in from Denmark and a couple of Jo's friends were driving up from York for the weekend.

It was past midnight when Jo picked me up at the gate and we doubted anyone would still be up by the time we got home. The minute I walked through the door however, I realised I'd underestimated Jo's genepool, just a tad.

The music was pumping (as much as 1950s anthems can) and Papa Jo was dancing, all by himself, in the middle of the living room. And suddenly, the mystery of Jo's dance-moves was solved. Genes account for more than even she would care to admit ;-) Shortly after, Jo's uncle started belting along to the tunes with what can only be described as a very cheeky Weegie-Italian aria-style tenor. The girls were all giggly and merily tipsy, and Jo eyed me up appologetically. It was downright the warmest welcome a girl could hope for.

Perhaps the nicest surprise that weekend, was the fact that Jo's childhood bedroom had been magically transformed into a grown-up room, double bed included. Not matter how in love you are, sharing a single bed takes it out of you once you pass the age of 25 and we were both grateful for the comfort.

The Saturday was spent shopping. Or rather, trailing along whilst others did the shopping, because neither Jo nor myself bought anything much. It's the curse of many a lesbian: straight girlie friends who still insist on your reluctant company during girlie shopping sprees. I guess that's one thing lesbians have in common with men. I marvel at how excited women can get over a Chanel lipstick or a set of shiny earrings and am thankful I lack the genes to do so, because I am sure I would be officially poor if I did.

Thankfully, the girlie girls in question happen to be endowed with a sound sense of humour and the afternoon was surprisingly enjoyable, despite the shopping.

The highlight of the weekend, by far, was Jo's birthday dinner. Jo'd selected a lovely restaurant in Glasgow and some 22 of us descended upon it towards the early evening. There were balloons, candles, gifts, german breadslices, haggis aaaaand... a kick ass birthday cake. Now, I'm not big on cake, but I was actually jealous. It was topped with a very accurate cartoon version of Jo on her bike... in ICING! Spikes included.

It was nice to see my girrel surrounded by her loved ones. It helps add the missing pieces to the puzzle. You can trace the love she carries out into the world right back to her family and friends. It all comes full circle...

1 Comments:

At 12:27 am, Blogger Pathological procrastinator said...

Babe, last night at the Christmas do, Shaz said exactly the same thing lol! *pout, then throws some shapes on the floor lol*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home