Sunday, December 16, 2007

Anger-Management Therapy Session

I'm angry with the world today. Or with life. Fuck knows.
I'm angry with society.

Whenever I'm in this mood, I've a tendency to blame my hormones, my neurochemistry or anything else I can excuse myself with. But I'm sick of apologizing for feeling this pissed off or for feeling low. There's too much of a pattern here. If the same flashes of anger and lows keep re-occurring, perhaps it's time to try and find the real cause, rather than to automatically point the finger at myself all the time. I'm sick of blaming me.

The last ten days have been a right struggle. If it were just a struggle with myself, then there'd be no problem. I've a pretty good relationship with myself. Yes... myself and I, we can usually sort stuff out together. I'm not afraid of a little introspection. Nor am I afraid of cracking open the toolbox for some maintenance. But a person can only go so far. When you clash with your environment, there's only so much you can do to try and make yourself fit in, without losing yourself completely.

A week or two ago, the papers headed an article stating that our generation (20-30 yos) is panicky and views the future with a distinct notion of pessimism.

Well bah-humbug. Can you blame us? We're the first generation that was brought up in extremely good fortune. The values instilled on us all circled around the notion that we should at all times maximize our choices and opportunities. That we should never settle for anything but the best. That anything truly was possible for us because we were given all the best chances for success. That the only responsibility we had was to carefully consider our options and choose the one that would do honor to all the possibilities that were given to us.

Call me crazy, but to me that all sounds very much like: "Here's your reward, make sure you earn it." And that's as negative a premise as one can get. If you don't live up to the chances you've been given, you're a failure. Yet, if you do manage to live up to them, well then "of course you did, you were given all the right parameters from the start". There is no winning here.

And let me tell you something. It's fucking hard to make the right choices in life and to maximize all your opportunities if you barely have a moment to consider them.

The newspaper article further stated that our generation's biggest complaint is lack of time. Well d'uh. Did anyone ever think about stringing the two together? Panic. Lack of time. It's bloody obvious if you ask me. If you have no time to think about what you're doing, to consider your choices, your options, your future... then it's pretty damn normal to feel panicky.

The last couple of months, I feel like my life has been reduced to my job, domestics and my relationship with Jo. And the latter, I rarely have enough time with. I gradually feel myself slipping between the nets. I feel hesitant to meet up with friends because it generally means a compromise on either my hours of sleep or my scarce long-distance-time with Jo and at any rate, my brain has become so one-dimensional of late, I feel like I have nothing interesting to share with people any more. I bore the hell out of myself.

I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place. Without adequate time for myself (and that includes Jo & my friends), I feel I will eventually diminish the contributions I have to make to the world around me, because I can feel myself grow increasingly limited.

I don't know how so many of you can even consider starting a family. How can you juggle a job, a social life, a family? Is it because you surrender to forever having lack of time? Do you start a family to add a new dimension to yourself because you've lost so many dimensions along the way? Or are you all just more capable of dealing with the world and its timely limitations than I apparently am?

Something's got to give.

6 Comments:

At 8:36 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so there with you. Have been feeling exactly the same, particularly over the past few weeks - and I don't even have a partner. Just barely making myself go round and know that as soon as I will find a partner or otherwise encounter a life change, something is totally gonna give. But what to do about it whithout letting myself down?

 
At 2:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oooooooo I love this post! so true and so recognisable. I think we are the generation that will learn to make choices. Because we have to, because there's too much out there... I have to think about what you wrote... Let it simmer a while. So deep.

 
At 7:42 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And you wonder why your friends worry about you? Just so you know, I see their point. ;o)

 
At 8:09 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Sanne: If you find the clue, drop me a line, i'll pay for it lol

Lama: Have u got time to let it simmer tho? ;-)

Klijn: I think people would worry more about me if I had a toddler walking behind me cursing loudly ;-)(hallometklijn.be)

 
At 8:33 pm, Blogger mimusic said...

Some of this post seems familiar, but it's the last part (a call to all people starting a family) that makes me reply.
Ok, for leaving all options open and making the best out of it, but for me it's more of an exercise in relaxedness. Just relax! Don't go for gold, go for happy. Do what makes you happy, and drop (as much as possible) the rest.
Don't let your work live you. We are highly educated enough to have a less than fulltime job and still get around financially. At least I can when working only 4 days a week and paying off a house. After finishing the phd I decided never ever to work as hard as back then. Why would you?
And about the family live, ok, fair enough for the moment I can't say there is much besides by baby son and we do have to juggle with our agendas (especially when he is ill), but it makes you enjoy the smaller things in live and put litterally everything you do in another perspective.

 
At 9:56 pm, Blogger Matt said...

Hello!

I am contacting you because I am working with the authors of a book about blogs, and I'd like to request permission to use the photograph you have posted in this book. Please contact me at matt@wefeelfine.org, and I'd be happy to give you more information about the project. Please paste a link to your blog in the subject field. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home