Friday, August 31, 2007

Proof is in the Pudding

My therapist...

(yes, I own one)

... has mentioned the once or twice that the number of thoughts and ideas for new projects buzzing around my head, combined with the many unfinished personal projects I have on the go, make even HER feel a little exhausted. Top that off with a subtle dusting of impatience and focus issues on my part, and it's a recipe for disaster.

A quick glance around my flat leads me to think she might just be on to something...

books 1&2:

book 3: book 4: books 5&6: book 7:

This is nothing new. There are pictures out there somewhere of a 7-year old Le Pew watching television whilst reading a book AND constructing some dodgy lego-technic invention, all at once. The parental units used to fire questions at me to verify whether I really did follow what was on TV AND in the book at the same time. Legend has it my feedback was accurate. Altho this might be the stuff of parental myth-making, it proves that my attention is scattered, to say the least.

It was with great pain then, that I decided to put books 1 to 6 back on the shelf, imposing an embargo on their re-un-shelving until book number 7 (Critical Mass by Philip Ball) has been thoroughly completed.

I believe sane people called it "focus". A neologism to many a neuron in my system.

I may need to consult my GP about the unabated side-effect: a continuous itch to grab an extra item to occupy myself with.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 8:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL. Such a scenario does not sound unfamiliar. Except that at this point in life I also tend to combine unfinished projects with unfinished household chores. There are just so many things so much more interesting than washing dishes, ironing, dusting and the like...

P.s. I love the wooden crates next to your bed. Do you buy them somewhere or just easy to get in Belgium? I've a hard time finding nice ones.

 
At 7:17 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Funny you should mention... I've had those boxes for years. When I was 16 my room got re-decorated and I decided to steal my dad's wine crates to stack em as a bookshelf. Because I didnt have a nightstand when I moved, I just took a few of them and used those.

But I've seen some nicer craters. The darker and older variety in a shop somewhere. I'm going to check them out and will let u know if there's a Dutch distributer for them as well!

 
At 4:23 am, Blogger Mad Dog said...

Heh, I certainly have the same problem. And it's got worse with age. Don't worry, I'm of then view that the need for constant and diverse intellectual stimulation is not only healthy but probably necessary for scientists (hope that doesn't sound elitist).

PS Your flat looks really nice...

 
At 6:16 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Doesn't sound elitist at all. And I think you might have a point. But in my case, I seem to fail the two pre-requisites for intellectual progress: focus and finalisation.

Half the books I start I don't finish, and my reading is so scattered, I often don't remember what I drew from where...

 
At 7:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for looking around for me, Pew. Maybe I have to start frequenting liquour stores more to find my own ;) I'm actually quite charmed by the light wood color. Just seems sunny and shiny on your picture. :)

 
At 11:18 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello dr.pew,

I accidentally came upon your site.
I was tickled to read about your simultaneous reading, project, ideas (floating in your head). You are not alone.

I'm the SAME. For a long time I tried to be different. More normal. More focused on one thing at a time. I've finally accepted that's the way I am. A different type of normal. It is possible to focus when you decide SOMETHING IS OF MAJOR IMPORTANCE.

You are creative and that's okay. The key is tying it all together.

 
At 4:34 am, Anonymous background removal services said...

Nice reading! Great post!!. You rule!!!

Regards,
clipping path services

 

Post a Comment

<< Home