Saturday, August 25, 2007

Drosophila Melanogaster conundrum

I appear to be missing a few insects.

Bear with me on this one.

I'm not entirely sure why, but the building I live in is infested with fruitflies. It could be I have an overzealous geneticist for a neighbour, but that is merely conjecture. Fact of the matter is, they're quite literally bugging me.

So this morning, I decided to nuke them. I grabbed a kick-ass spray can of insecticide, shut all the windows so as to trap them, then held my nose shut with one hand and sprayed the contents into each of the rooms in my flat, before locking the door behind me and heading to work for the day.

When I spoke to my girrel on the phone shortly after, she logically induced that I was likely to come home to the not-so-proverbial graveyard shift. As in, I'd probably be shovelling fruitfly carcasses all night. Trouble is... I've just come home and while all the fruitflies have gone, there isn't a single carcass to be found.

I lie. There was one. A mosquito. The innocent bystander inadvertently in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So, I'm in a wee bit of a predicament here. Where the hell have they all gone??? Could they have all curled up somewhere for a final bonding session, resigned to the fact that they were collectively and inevitably going to die? Did they escape through some inconspicuous holes I wasn't aware my flat had? Or... and I'm dreading this... have they sought refuge in my fully stocked, cow-carcass filled fridge, for one last final feast? I'm a tad apprehensive about opening the damn fridgedoor now.

Seriously? Where do fruitflies go when they die?!?

1 Comments:

At 7:32 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Where do fruitflies go when they die?!?"
Fruitfly heaven? Where there's always lots of rotten fruit and time has no meaning?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home