Sunday, February 11, 2007

Anonimity Cloak Thwarted

Only two months in, and my decision to return to a life set in Ghent has had some fascinating consequences already. I was determined to enlarge my current social group here beyond its old established boundaries and like the true geek that I am, I enlisted the help of the wonderful medium of blogging for that quest. These last few weeks I've met some wonderful people both through blogging and some renewed efforts IRL. But last night, the reality of decloaking... of losing my blogging "anonimity", really hit home.

I was invited along to Spass and shortly after my arrival, someone asked whether I'd managed to unshrink my favorite sweater. It took me a moment to realise this question related to one of my recent blogposts. Much later on in the evening, someone else proclaimed they would start taking my writings with a pinch of salt from now on, because I had quite successfully disproven my statement that I rarely drink, by being so disgracefully trashed. *grin*

Which brings home a few rather painful realisations: (1) people pay attention, (2) if I distort the truth in the name of poetic freedom *cough*VANITY*cough* then I WILL be caught out and (3) I will have no more stories to tell IRL, because it's all been read on my blog.

On another note, I've observed a rather bizarre phenomenon. Three different random strangers I engaged in conversation at different points during the night, likened me to an L-word character somewhere mid-conversation. I found this immensely odd. "You know, you're so ***** from the L-word". Erm. No. I'm so me. It's fascinating how much this series seems to have infiltrated the mindset.

Anyway: D&TC and The Girlfriend did an excellent job last night with Spass. I look forward to the next effort.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At 9:04 am, Blogger Disco said...

To paraphrase Geoffrey Chaucer*, it's called giving the truth scope.

* I heard him say this in "A Knight's Tale" so I know it to be true beyond all doubt.

 
At 3:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, I guess that means you're not coming to the "L party" on Friday in Brussels, are you? ;)

 
At 4:14 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Disco: Excellent euphemism! ;)

Cam: I wasn't even aware there was an L-party in Brussels on Friday. You're suposed to let me know *grin* I can't cover ALL the bases here now can I?! ;)

 
At 7:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, if you MUST know :), there is one every month. They're basically fussing around trying to get some attention with the L name :) It's in the center, venue is Diamond club, it's on Le Sablon, rue Sainte Anne.
(certainly won't need to have a near-death experience to make a girl smile there ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home