Thursday, August 10, 2006

No Hand Baggage

The BBC News Site announced that a "Plot to blow up planes" has been foiled. In response to the threat, security at all airports in the UK has been tightened. The Department for Transport set out temporary new security measures at UK airports: Passengers will not be allowed to take any hand luggage onto any flights departing from UK airports.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I checked my flight shedule on the BA site for news updates and to see if my flights will have been affected. And guess what... unless this alert is called off within the next 18 days (fingers crossed), I too will have to subject to the following measures:

"British Airways, acting on instruction from the UK Government, wishes to advise passengers that no items of hand baggage can be carried on board any aircraft departing any UK airport. The UK Government has advised that this instruction will apply to all airlines operating from UK airports. Passengers may only take through the airport security search point, the following items:

- Travel documents essential for the journey (eg passports, tickets and visas)
- Pocket sized wallets and pocked sized purses plus contents (for example money, credit cards and identity cards).

- Handbags are not permitted.
- Prescribed medicines essential for the duration of the flight.

- Spectacles and sunglasses, without cases.
- Contact lenses, without bottles of solution
- For those traveling with an infant: baby food, milk and sanitary items essential for the flight.
- Keys (but no electrical key fobs).

Every other item must be carried in customer’s hold luggage. For clarity, passengers are advised that no electrical or battery powered items including laptops, mobile phones, ipods, remote controls etc can be carried in the cabin and must be checked in as hold baggage.Customers are advised to check-in as normal but to expect delays at all UK airports. British Airways regrets any inconvenience caused. Any customers not complying with this Government instruction will not be accepted for travel by British Airways."

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just my luck. I'd carefully planned out a successful combo of anxiolithicum, sedatives, earplugs, eyemask, neckpillow, books and music to make that 20h43min flight seem a lot less daunting. Moreover, I'd planned to take the essentials with me in my hand bag, just in case my backpack gets lost or delayed. Rubbish.

Guess I will have to make do with the sheduled on-flight entertainment: Ice Age2, Over the Hedge, V for Vendetta and a whole lot of Simpsons, Friends and Cheers episodes.

Oooh I just thought of summat... I could wear three sets of undies on top of each other (so I have spares in case the backpack gets lost) and three sweaters on top of each other (one to wear, one as pillow and one as blanket). I could put in my earplugs as I walk through security. And I could actually try making conversation with the unlucky sods sat next to me, to make time pass. Now there's a thought... ;-)

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

3 Comments:

At 10:26 am, Blogger Disco said...

What with this morning's news and Great White sightings in UK waters I think my wholly legitimate fears really ought to be taken a little more seriously now....

 
At 1:33 pm, Blogger SaneScientist said...

You can't carry your laptop on? WTF?! Have they seen the trained Macaques that call themselves baggage handler? There will be riots! I once watched my bag fall a meter and a half off a baggage conveyor.

Unless they start giving out complimentary duvets to wrap it in, I figure the cost of the plane ticket will be less than the cost of a new laptop.

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Hm, I hadn't even considered the laptop thing. I'm luckily not taking it.

I have to say, the image of all those poor travellers carrying carrier bags around with them, is actually quite entertaining. Businessmen in expensive suits... with a plastic carrier bag for a suitcase. Excellent ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home