Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Loss of the Cuss

Since being in back Flatland, I've discovered a rather disconcerting fact about myself. It seems I may have inadvertently regained my innocence during my years on the Island. It is rather disturbing. Years of British subtle media censorship of songlyrics and chatshows alike have rendered me rather vulnerable to the brute force of Belgium's non-censorship approach to broadcasting.

On an almost daily basis, I find myself singing along(or attempting to)with the radio, only to realise that the lyrics I am listening to are nothing like the ones I've grown accustomed to on the Island. It seems the "mute", "bleep" and "replace dirty word by mumbling" control buttons used in Britain cleverly managed to avoid my non-censorship-guard in true stealthwise fashion.


Just yesterday, I was thoroughly shocked by some rather rude comments and cusses uttered during a radio interview. When looking to the people around me for some support on the matter, I found that I was the only one to have even noticed. I reckon it is about time I make use of my temporary stay here in Flatland to regain some of my subversive nature. After all, strip a Belgian of their streak for dissidence and their ability to cuss, and what's left? Very little indeed. ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home