Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Everything is Illuminated

I was wondering if anyone would pick up on Jonathan Safran Foer's books and attempt to turn one into a screenplay. And according to todays BBC news edition someone finally has. I'm glad to see Elijah Wood decided to play the lead role.

I've yet to read "Everything is Illuminated", but if his previous work is anything to go by, it's bound to be of high standard indeed. I've "lost" every copy of Foer I've ever owned, due to my eagerness to have others around me read it. If you're new to Foer, I would definitely recommend "Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close". It won't be to everyone's liking, as it starts to interweave two side stories mid-way through the book, and may come across as a bit confusing and seemingly unrelated at times, but Foer's main character Oscar is quite possibly the most wonderfully brilliant I have encountered in books to date. Given that Foer (born 1977) was actually only in his early twenties when he wrote this book, I feel he could easily be forgiven for the somewhat messy plotlines. The richness of his characters and his ability to observe&narrate some of the most inconspicuous, delicate aspects of human nature clearly demonstrate Foer has got some amazing potential.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home