Thursday, November 17, 2005

Quoi de Neuf?

Guess where I've just been...

I spent the last few days in Paris on the premise of attending a conference on Complex Systems. In actual fact it was my best friend Val who got the all-expenses-paid trip there, courtesy of La Sapienza Uni in Rome. I was really only there to get a few quality days in her presence. And quality it certainly was. Val is one of those people who I sadly get to see only the once or twice a year, despite having been best friends since highschool. It always baffles me how effortlessly we pick up the thread whenever we do see each other. As if time & distance play no role of major importance between us.

Individuals evolve so much, especially in their early twenties. It's not always a given that the fundamental connections you've built up with certain friends survive these changes. Every now and then you get lucky... you've both evolved, not necessarily in the same direction, but you know the fundaments of each other so well, that little effort is required to overcome those newly established differences. But those relationships are rare. Which is why the past few days were such quality.


We had the token girlie night out and instantly reverted to our old ways of strolling around aimlessly, spiritedly chatting away. Val and I never decisively end up anywhere together, we're just not that kind. But somehow we always "happen" upon the nicest of things. It was no different this time around. We "happened" upon a lovely moroccan restaurant called "Au Pied du Chameau" and had an incredibly tasty Tagine. We decided to leave before the belly dancer finished working her way around the restaurant and ended up in the most random pub I have ever seen in my life. It was construed of car parts, trophies, and videoscreens showing nothing but car crashes. After 5 renditions of Bee Gees, we decided to leave, only to discover that the place we'd strolled into was called: "Auto Passion Cafe". That'll teach us for randomly chancing it. But a good laugh it certainly was!

I forfaited the compulsory tourist attractions this time around, and on the suggestion of a few friends, I spent most of my time in the Quartier Marais and the Jewish Quarter. Strangely enough these "gay" and "jewish" quarters seem to blend into each other with no marked difficulty, and the whole area is a fantastically cosy place to be. Although Paris is ridiculously overpiced (£4 for a half pint of Kronenbourgh!!!) it most certainly has an enticing appeal. I must find myself some friends who live there, so I can visit more regularly. Any takers??

1 Comments:

At 3:14 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

I would guess that the "Auto Passion Café" now has enough material to build several extensions! ;-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home