Friday, January 05, 2007

Risky Business

When an HR manager starts off the jobinterview by informing you that "the company is really looking for someone with a little more experience, a few more years in the industry, someone a few years older than you in fact, but that your CV really caught their eye and they were curious enough to invite you for an interview"... you know it's time to bring out the big guns.

Strangely enough, as soon as he said those words, I began to feel very calm and in control. I figured: "well OK, so the job is not mine. So let's just see how far we can take this and let's practice our interview-skills." Despite carefully planning and studying the points I had wanted to get across during the interview, completely different and more accurate words came out of my mouth, all of which seemed to hit their target.

About 45 minutes into the interview, the HR manager started to question whether they really did need someone with all the experience or whether perhaps someone like myself could pull off the job as well. At one point, he leant back in his chair and just stared at me with a puzzled look on his face, whilst muttering: "hm... we really WERE looking for someone with more experience... but maybe...".

He eventually decided to call in the R&D boss, so he too could interview me and give his opinion. Thankfully, the R&D boss turned out to be a very friendly, very interesting man. The interview was conducted in a very pleasant and jovial manner. He eventually showed me around the company and introduced me to a few other people from the R&D department. The downside to all this is that I now very much want the job. *grin* They have a real coffee-machine and there's a gym right next door and everything!! Not that I'm easily bought or sold... *cough*

They will inform me of their decision at the start of February, when all of the interviews have been held. Despite the interview going well, I estimate my chances to be slim. It WOULD be a risk on their part to invest in me. But it'd be pretty cool if they did so, nonetheless ;-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home