Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Stencils

Does everyone everywhere reach a point where things just start looking the same?!? I'm only 17 days into my Big Trek and with each town I pass, that thought grows. It all does looks the same. On a grand scale at least. Don't get me wrong. I could never tire of the New Zealand outdoors. But when it comes down to the more urban areas, well, once you've seen one, you've kind of seen them all. Since I don't like doing the touristy routes, I generally pick a few sites I feel I ought to have seen and then wander around places haphazardly to get a feel for them. But wandering without a purpose at some point loses its penache. I've never truly believed that there is a purpose or meaning to life, but I'd say I'm fairly certain now that people created purpose simply to get through their days.


I started getting bored of the wandering. Just like one can get bored with having the same conversations over and over. You know... that standard routine we all go through when we first meet a person? Anyway... I sat myself down and decided that if I want to get the most out of this, I need to give purpose to my wandering and conversations. And then I thought about stencils. The type you see on walls, alleyways and fences in all urban areas. They've always fascinated me and when you start paying attention, you get sucked in.

I've decided to start fisheyeing stencils wherever I go. Not only does it give purpose to my wandering, it also gives direction, since you often need to get off the beaten track to find them. And you can't keep your eyes confined to streetlevel. I found this little gem (above) on a factory roofwall. Although I've only been at it for three days, I'm totally hooked. I've decided to include graffity too as it contrasts the soberness and finesse of the stencils. Purpose to the wanderlust taken care of, I'm now trial-running a little project for the conversation part of travelling. If it goes well, I shall undoubtedly blog about it before too long.


I'm off to the Franz Joseph Glacier tomorrow for a few days of glacier climbing and will most likely not have internet access till I'm back in Christchurch on Saturday. I will be in the hands of expert guides, so don't despair. I shall return at the weekend.

PS: Camille, "grand merci" for mailing me that mp3. And yes, I would welcome more of those on a weekly basis. Good thinking Batman!

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 8:22 pm, Blogger Disco said...

Extra credit for the most imaginative rendering of P.S.E. that you can uncover.

 
At 2:33 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Are you suggesting I find a tag for us to steal and make our own?!

OK.

How are the bandanas coming along?!

 
At 8:21 pm, Blogger Disco said...

I'm working on the bandanas. You can't rush art (or me).

And I hope you're getting some NZ Crowded House in there and not just the educational philosophy tracks ;-)

 
At 3:23 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Always take the weather with me Disco. Always.

 
At 8:49 am, Blogger Disco said...

Well, it's only natural and sometimes you even get four seasons in one day and although sometimes you feel like you're walking on the spot and are not the girl you think you are, and things will never be the same in your own private universe, all I ask is that you trust your instinct, don't fall into temptation or dream it's over, make sure you don't get locked out, eat plenty of chocolate cake (it's only natural under the distant sun) and always remember, in the world where you live, everything is good for you when you love this life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home