Thursday, February 16, 2006

Crippled Freedom of Speech

I've been meaning to write a blogpost about the events happening around the globe these past few weeks. Not only relating to the cartoon-riots, but also to the recent incarceration under Austrian law, of historian David Irving for denial of the Holocaust. I have serious issues with any form of curtailment of freedom of speech and with the inherent paradoxality of the concept at hand.

Due to lack of time, however, I will simply have to leave you with this: a most poignant depiction of the current events. Although several equally poignant cartoons have been published of late with respect to the cartoon riots, I feel their reference to the muslim community as a whole is a generalisation. Generalisations are the downfall of society, in my own personal opinion. Although I feel everyone should have the right to publish their own views, I personally think they injustly tar all muslims with the same brush and only adds to an already steadily growing divide between communities. That is why I opted for a cartoon which threads a common link between us all, regardless of our background, in what has been happening these last few weeks:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home