Monday, October 17, 2005

Marbles Lost

I have officially transgressed into very merky psychological waters.

I just woke up in terror sweats. Albus Dumbeldore (I’m NOT kidding) was cooking me dinner, whilst going over my PhD with me. He pulled open my PhD box (picture a Windows XP style magical wooden filing cabinet here) and said: “You really should contact these volunteers you know, some of them might have pulled out of the project by now.” And I said: “What are you on about?” To which he replied: “Well, your control experiments are only halfway through completion.” I rushed to the box to see what on Earth he was talking about, and discovered to my utmost horror that I had indeed “forgotten” to complete my control experiments, and that there was nothing but owl droppings (again, NOT kidding) where those files should have been.

I woke up sweating and shivering whilst feverishly trying to come up with a way to explain to my Supervisor and the Swiss Funding People that I might have accidentally forgotten to round up the last set of controls and that it took Albus Dumbledore to make me realise that *tiny* oversight.

THAT is why I am sat at my computer at 5am. Soon as I woke up, I booted the damn thing to see if all my files were still there. I should never have gone to that Sci Fi fair yesterday.

I need help. I am taking the ENTIRE day off today. "CLOSED FOR BUSINESS"

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 8:04 pm, Blogger Dr Jim said...

This sort of stuff always happens to me. It happened throughout my thesis writing, and has happened whenever I've had to submit important manuscripts - even yesterday when I was submitting to the journal I had a sudden panic attack that something I had done was complete bollocks. It wasn't really though. You can get too close to something!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home