Monday, October 03, 2005

Staring at the Sun

Brilliant displacement activity this morning… I mean, as a physicist, how could I not partake? I’m of course talking about the annual partial solar eclipse. I rummaged around in some of my old boxes and found the solar goggles that had been issued by the government for the 1999 total solar eclipse. I didn’t have the patience to sit through the entire thing this time around, but with some fiddling, I managed to take a snapshot of the moon and sun in the peak of their power struggle:



On another note, the New Scientist reports that astronomers have discovered a moon orbiting the tenth planet in the solar system. The planet was nicknamed Xena after the television warrior princess, and the moon has been dubbed Gabrielle, after the princess's companion. Lesbian planet naming?! I guess that makes sense... when you've depleted the greek & roman mythology source for naming, the next best thing has got to be televised fantasy lesbian mythology?! lol. Anyway... you won't hear me complain ;-)

2 Comments:

At 2:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Humpf.

It was cloudy here and you aren't that far away (I live in the arse-end-of Fife)

Humpf.

 
At 3:45 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Neh. At least you'll grow old with your retinas intact ;-)

BTW...Stats: "Xena" and "Gabrielle"... a fab metatag to attach to your site!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home