Thursday, February 17, 2005

Bowling, Single Serving Friends & Creepy Critters

In a bid to lead a slightly more sociable life, The Fluff and I have agreed to push eachother away from those comfortzone "let's stay in with a DVD"-excuses. So yesterday we went Bowling with a bunch of other PhD-syndrome sufferers. We hadn't met those people before and although I love bowling, I was slightly hesitant to go. Last time I played, I inadvertently knocked over a seven-year-old kid in the lane next to me. Not the kind of impression you want to instill on a first meet-n-greet with intellectual strangers :s

It was an unusually refreshing night out though, with an incredibly well-balanced mixture of individuals. Who knew there was such a thing as a PhD on Jazz-perception? Or a study into Middle English references to religious indoctrination? Whooooosh *grin* I'm sure I stood gaping at people a little longer than appropriate, but hey... cut me some slack :-) We ended up at a lovely little jazzie-ecclectic pub in town, huddled together over a few ales. And it was in that smokey warmth that it dawned on me... how screwed my perceptions of the "single-serving-friends" phenomenon have become.



Having moved around so much these past couple of years, I've been meeting more single-serving-friends than I ever cared to meet. Often out of necessity, I've thrown myself onto every social event in the book. But most often the people I enjoy meeting, are the type of people that like the "on-the-move" lifestyle as much as I do. Which unfortunately makes for very short courtship. And eventually you find yourself bored of your own story, for need of having to recount it anytime you meet someone new. The excitement wears off and you find yourself longing for a quiet night down the pub with a couple of childhood mates.

But yesterday night, I realised that the people facing me, didn't need the short and long. Somehow, we all shared common ground which was enough to build on. The effortlessness of our conversations took me entirely by surprise. As did the fact that The Fluff threw four strikes in the game, but that's another story entirely :-) I guess my point is... I was wrong.

Anywho. I woke up this morning with a neurotically purring feline on my head, which is as weird a start of the day as any. I guess inadvertently feeding him tabasco yesterday hasn't helped his psychosis *grin*.

Got a deadline to meet on Monday, which inevitably means an increase in displacement activity, so watch this space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home