Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Introducing...

The frequency and content of my blogging seem to have become increasingly scattered of late. While that is partly due to the fact that I have jumped headlong into my new job and am still very much trying to re-organise my private life around this new situation, that is not the whole story...

These last two months have heralded the arrival of a different level of distraction entirely. It presented itself in a highly compact, dangerously spiky and tremendously vibrant packaging. And I've taken the last two months to slowly unwrap it and figure out what place to give it in my life.

Frequent visitors to this blog undoubtedly know that I have been single for pretty much 19 months now. About a year and a half ago, I made the conscious decision to take some proper solo time for a change. It was time well spent on thesis-writing, travelling, re-establishing old connections, making new ones, physical and emotional recovery, finding a job and buying a flat. It seems odd, if not a little indulgent then, that one would find oneself at a point in life where things seem to fall perfectly into place, and to feel utterly contented with what one has and where one is in life... only to be presented with some unexpected icing on the proverbial cake.

I've taken some time to let things sink in and have refrained (as much as I could without exploding of eagerness to shout it over the rooftops) from recounting the events leading up to this point. But it seems fairly obvious to me now that this is the right time to introduce "the icing", as she'll undoubtedly feature in more than one of my future blogposts, if I continue the level of personal-account blogging I've accustomed these last two years. I don't feel very comfortable holding stuff back, and I'm sure you've all picked up on the fact that my posts have been less coherent as well as more impersonal, and I've just about stretched the limits of self-containment anyway...

So, ladies and gentlereaders, voila ma petite-amie: Jo.


Ye can't really tell from her picture (what with her being uncharacteristically pretty for a Scot *ONLY JOKING*... *not*), but she is in fact Scottish. Sexy accent included. And yes, yes, I KNOW I have just bought a flat and landed myself a fantastic job here in Belgium, but then I like the road less travelled. More than that... the combination of those various elements in my life seems to make perfect sense just now.

I could quite easily list a thousand things about her that make me go all mushy, but then I would like to keep my readership and it would seriously interfere with the high standard of blogging you're all accustomed to *cough*

Actually, sod that. She's fab. She's got bump 'n grind dancemoves that make MC Hammer look like a wallflower in comparison, her funky hair would turn even the most well-endowed hedgehog envious and when she smiles, it totally tugs at my heartstrings. She's in my system and it feels like that's exactly where she was meant to be. So yes, Jo's likely to feature on this blog in future. By association.

And now that I've managed to get this all out on "paper", I've cleared the path for my blogging to regain its natural flow...

Labels: , , ,

14 Comments:

At 11:51 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

smashing! she is indeed fab (not that you need a lama-seal of approval*)
so now you're at the tender age of twenty-thity-something and are quite content and fulfilled!
What's next?

* = seal of approval by a lama, not an animal with the body of a seal, with a lamahead that spits violently at attackers

 
At 12:05 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Now there's a visual *grin*

What's next??? Chuck, me thinks I'm just going to enjoy this ride and see where it takes me.

If u were hinting at kiddies to babysit, u better consider poppin' em out yerself ;-)

PS: thanks for the tip on that Sioux thing. It was VERY random in terms of music, but lotsa fun!

 
At 8:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome Jo!!!

 
At 10:08 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well, you're absolutely welcome. I myself didn't get there (too old blah blah blah), but will be attending Queerkaffee, Friday 13th. More info here.
Lots of nice people, great atmosphere, cabaret and party.

Anyhow, enjoy the ride! And the view!

 
At 8:20 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Hya dad ;-) We'll do the proper introductions before too long ;-)

xx

 
At 10:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pewster :D

Ya couldn't hide her from us for too long, and I can see why!

What else does a girl need eh, all in one go... a PhD, a great job, a lovely lady..
Here's to the good things in life *clink*



p.s. on a total aside and in no way related, have you been watching Heroes? It's bloomin brilliant..

p.p.s why am i never able to get that word verification right in posting messages?! I think it's playin with my fragile mind..

 
At 11:18 am, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Ellow Oirish!

*raises her glass n clinks yours* Life's just fab at the mo!!! ;-)

Heroes, yes I have seen it and it instantly made me think of u. Totally ur yer alley. By the by... Kurt Vonnegut... sad ey??

Word verification is total pants. I'm sure they send an initial error message by default, cuz I swear I'm not THAT cross-eyed..

 
At 12:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Re Heroes, I absolutely love the Hiro character, he's the cutest lil thing - he's like the a teddybear specially for Geeks.

Re Vonnegut, RIP...sad news. [hey did you just take a guess on that, or have we spoke about him?] good quote from him from a few decades back:

"When I think about my own death, I don't console myself with the idea that my descendants and my books and all that will live on. Anybody with any sense knows that the whole solar system will go up like a celluloid collar, by and by. I honestly believe, though, that we are wrong to think that moments go away, never to be seen again. This moment and every moment lasts forever."

I am guessing i'll fail the word verification again now, just cos i've said...it'll try to get me back for complainin :D

right, Marie go do some work *looks sternly at self*

[hello to your lady!]

x
Od

p.s. yep failed word verification

 
At 1:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

excuse you, us Scots are fabby doo.
Heheh

Happy for you mate :D x

 
At 1:57 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Why... I agrrrree lassie! Ye know I've a wee soft spot for yous lot.

(Just for the record, re-iterating once again: yes Jo, I'd still fancy the pants off ye if you didnae twang sco-ish! Altho... perhaps ever so slightly, but only marginally, less so ;p )

 
At 4:43 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gosh... I'ts been a while since I read your stories but it's funny how once I start, I can't stop :)
You have such a special way of writing and it totally glues me to the screen.
Lovely girl :) (Taking bout Jo now;o)) I definately welcome her into the stories :) Could make very interesting blogs!
Glad to see you are happy and setteling down... yet I am still very yealous of your worldtour! If I win the lottery tonight... I will do the same thing ;o) but not alone :D (yeah I'm a pussy)
We wrote a few mails before you left...but then I guess we both had better things to do :)
Anyways... I'l keep checking in from time to time... I hope you keep writing!

 
At 6:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good on you! ...And also glad to see a more Pew-like post again. :)

 
At 7:06 pm, Blogger Dr.Pew said...

Hey Fiona, yes I remember you. For your sake, I hope u won the lottery ;-)


Sanne, you're right... it's been a long few months deviating from the normal Pew-standard. But then I noticed you've only recently found your regular schwung again ;-) Hope you enjoyed London?

 
At 8:24 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Haha, you're sharp! Still working on finding some different focus in several areas of my life. :) London was very nice. Great parks to hang out in and absolutely loved Greenwich!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home