Monday, August 22, 2005

Can you calculate me up a scrambled egg?

I'm all for Star Trek. Big fan. It nourishes the geek in me. And I've always thought the food replicator on board was a stroke of genius, if only for the money saved on kitchen staff. However...

NASA, in dire need of an "exciting" new project, is funding a study to design a computer controlled cooking machine. The idea being that ingredients and recipes can easily be reduced to mathematical terms and equations, so a computer could control the mixing, heating and cooling of the ingredients based on mathematical formulae and produce something that tastes similar to the object requested, even if it was not made by the convential ingredients. So a cooked potato would become: ((S1/W1)/W)/S2 with the S1 and S2 being different solids like starch or fat, the W being water and the W1 being liquid cytoplasm (I got this from the New Scientist site btw...)

Now why on earth would I want to consume something that looks, smells and tastes like a cooked potato when a cooked potato is about the EASIEST thing in a world to make? Like I don't have enough trouble avoiding fake foods as it is... IF I ever venture into space for a gap-decade, I shall consider it ;-) For the time being, it might be better for NASA to focus on simply getting its spaceships off the ground in the first place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home